• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

needing a 74 water heater valve inner view

Nacho-RT74

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
Since there is not a CORRECT heater valve for 74 models due the diff bracket available, I had to buy the only one available as replacement at Advance Auto parts:

5481430_faa_74643_pri_larg.jpg

But I wasn't satisfied with the idea of cut the original bracket and attach this, or open new holes on inner fender so I decided to go with SWITCH THE BRACKETS:

I KNEW was posible, and it is. Just need to be handy:
img1482m.jpg

img1483vc.jpg

WHAT REST FROM THE REST OF PARTS ( newer bracket and older heater parts )
img1481nj.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

HOWEVER there is one part that I simpy FORGOTT WHAT POSITION MUST GO! and is the valve itself inside. It has two "faces" ( showing the old piece but newer is pretty much the same ):
img1484ri.jpg

and
img1485ox.jpg

I "pre-assemblied" like this in open position ( outlet is the one facing the firewall ).
img1487gj.jpg

but if SOMEBODY can confirm this to correct it before make the final assembly ( meaning the final use of the HAMMER, LOL ) will be great.

Need to set the lever aligment with the valve cilinder. Everything is just preassemblied waiting for this

I have one on that 74 Coronet that I could pull in the next couple days if somebody doesn't chime in .

that would be great! need to look inside the outlet ( rear outlet is the easier due bigger diameter ) in fully open position.

if any one else has a heater valve im also looking for 1 along with the cable and every thing to attach it will all hard ware n clips for the cable thanks again every one

#1 open
#2 1/2 open
#3 closed

Attachments

• DCP_0026.jpg
    DCP_0026.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DCP_0027.jpg
    DCP_0027.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DCP_0028.jpg
    DCP_0028.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 168
NICE THANKS!!!

so I stil have to sligthly align the lever BUT I did fit the correct side of the valve

I am so glad you posted this, I got the same replacement one, and was suspect it was not right, so I pulled my original, well, not original original, I think I replaced it back in the 80's, but the new one is not even close to the one previously installed on the car. Just another item to add to my returns pile back to Year One!!!!!!!! Those guys need to learn how to research stuff better!!!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0981small.jpg
    IMAG0981small.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 146
the backelite piece is correct up to 73, 74s got the brass one... ATHOUGHT some lates 73s could get the brass one as far I know.

Classic Auto Air sells the backelite one in $150 or so. Coupe of years earliers was still available in $50-80 rate from ANY REGULAR parts dealer, althought several ebay sellers were also selling in $150 rate by those days

my heater is working maybe for the first time in 39 years!!!! It got all the assembly from factory, but nipples were sealed from factory too since living in Venezuela you'll barelly would need the heater. Maybe to give the option to the owner to remove the welded seals on nipples if requiered.

Now I REALLY can graduate the air temp... althought the wire needs to be replaced. Ends were damaged and had to cut them a little bit. Now is just too tight, although still works

Thanks Mark for the help!!!

the backelite piece is correct up to 73, 74s got the brass one... ATHOUGHT some lates 73s could get the brass one as far I know.

Classic Auto Air sells the backelite one in $150 or so. Coupe of years earliers was still available in $50-80 rate from ANY REGULAR parts dealer, althought several ebay sellers were also selling in $150 rate by those days
I would much rather have a brass one as I recall the one in the picture I show above(left) had issues with it leaking around the seals, and it only lasted a few months. thanks for the tip!!! I see classic auto air at least pictures what should be the correct one for my car.

Auto Transport Service
Back