• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needing new 727 Tranny

Greg Berlin

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a 1967 dodge coronet sedan with a 440 big block swap and 727 transmission about a year ago and haven’t had a ton of time to drive it, but I noticed it had a leak that looked like tranny fluid so I took to a shop and they replaced the torque converter seal and said that was leaking, then after they finished the work, he told me it was stuck in high gear and it wouldn’t go very well in reverse either and he claimed that the tranny is shot and if I sourced a new one, he’d put it in. I’ve noticed that I didn’t think the car had the power that it should and he said it’s because I’ve been taking off from third gear everywhere. I’m a little skeptical of that claim, but he doesn’t rebuild transmissions at his shop. I was going to take it to a recommended local transmission shop and see what they think but I was wondering a few things. A) does this seem like a common issue and does that mean the tranny is toast? B) are there any 727 transmission suppliers that people recommend if replacement is necessary? C) any recommendations on features I should be looking for in a replacement transmission that would make it more durable and better shifting and able to give some room to grow should I start adding to the 440? Right now the 440 has worked over 906 heads and a mopar cam with an Edelbrock carb and aluminum install and exhaust, but I’d love to eventually purchase a top end kit for it with heads and whole works down the road D) I also priced up a complete 4 speed replacement kit from brewers as well thinking this might be the best time to do a swap. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I’ve never done a transmission swap before so if I went that route, I figured a complete kit would be worth the investment to make sure I have EVERYTHING I’d need to do a swap, but they are $$$$

So any help or advice or feedback people could give would be awesome! Thanks!

Well it just depends on where you live and if there is a good old school transmission guy in your area. An older 727 transmission is not difficult to rebuild. A guy who knows what he is doing and has the right tools can do a complete rebuild in just a few hours. It isn't much more complicated than a complete brake job on a car, basically just replacing the frictions and seals and double checking clearances. I was scared the first time I did a 727 but by the time I rebuilt my third or fourth one it was just a routine task that didn't take much time.

First, Hello from a Maryland escapee. I used to live 15 minutes from Crofton.
My concern is, can you feel the car shift? Can you put the shifter in first, and feel it staying in first while you drive it? Move the shifter to 2nd. Do you feel it shift? You need to know what it's supposed to do, and what it's currently doing. Doing a 4 speed conversion isn't the best idea, since you have to cut a big hole in the floor to install the manual trans tunnel, plus all the other work, and expense to get it together. If you ever want to drive the car, fix the issues you have. Also, stay away from ATI trans near Baltimore. They screwed up some really basic stuff on my trans.

He told me that when he manually shifts into first, nothing, and manually shifts into 2nd, nothing....but it runs all the time in 3rd. But I don’t remember it not shifting before I took it to him, but maybe it didn’t. Maybe it was just in 3rd gear and I never noticed it. I haven’t driven it that much since I bought it. It’s been in the garage. So it’s possibly it may need adjusted or rebuilt. He’s had my car for about 2 weeks already so I’d love to get it back and drive it before it’s winter . For now I’d love to just have a decent rebuild plus a shift kit and maybe do a manual valve body on there with a shifter and in essence will have the best of both worlds and be much cheaper than a full 4 speed swap still.

Get a rebuild kit from Rick at A&A Transmission, and find a Trans man that knows 727's. Or get a tranny from B&M, TCI, etc. TCI has a street strip tranny for around $1300 or so. My 2 centsworth.

I'd find a good transmission builder and get a second opinion on that one...unless parts were blown out the side racing it, 727s are rarely ever 'shot' beyond being rebuildable

It's actually very easy to re-build a 727! Everything comes out through the front, and replacing
clutch-packs and checking clearances on the packs with a feeler gage is easy also. If you
keep everything in order and re-assemble it that way, you should be good. I've done a couple
myself, and I'm not a rocket scientist. Good luck! Bite the bullet.

I wonder if the mechanic was telling you it wouldn't engage first and second when the shift lever was moved to first or second - but if left in drive it was starting off properly in 1st and shifting through 2nd and into 3rd. I can't hardly imaging you are driving around in 3rd gear all the time. It may have a screwed up valve body in it.

Get a rebuild kit from Rick at A&A Transmission, and find a Trans man that knows 727's. Or get a tranny from B&M, TCI, etc. TCI has a street strip tranny for around $1300 or so. My 2 centsworth.
That’s what I was originally going to do was just jump on jegs or summit racing and pick up one of their tci trannies, but I’ve read nothing but horror stories with both the tci and b&m transmissions. That was my dilemma. There’s one at jegs made by PA performance too, but I can’t find any reviews or info on it. I just want to make sure that whatever brand transmission I buy doesn’t leave me ending up in the same situation in 6 months.

Any decent trans guy should be able to rebuild a 727 easily. Wholesale parts are usualy less than $200. You can and a shift kit or performance valve body if desired for additional $50-250 depending on type. Plus labor. Replacing the seal wouldn't had affected the trans operation. It's possible they broke the pump lugs during the installation process. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the shop doing the work. There's more to this story.
Doug

What I would do is contact Dave at Transgo in el monte ca
they have a web of shops that use their tech support and he can recommend someone as close to you as possible
I'l be seeing him tomorrow for a Mercedes Benz problem and will ask but he might not have an answer til Monday
lots of good suggestions so far BTW

Not sure what your symptoms suggest. Sounds like a total rebuild is needed. Consider buying a complete new trans from a reputable builder, Cope or ?? Too bad you're so far away, I'd do a great setup for you. 727's are pretty simple once you understand them. But there are a lot of small variations in the internal parts that taylor it to the specific application.

Auto Transport Service
Back