• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral safety switch 727

67charger440

Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
Greetings,

have a single post Neutral safety switch on a 727 that’s giving me issues. It’s a brand new switch I got from classic industries. Ground wire to relay is also new and not charred. Problem I’m having is sometimes it won’t start in park I have to go to neutral to start. I can Rock the vehicle back and forth and sometimes this get it to start in park. Question is, is there something I can do that doesn’t involve ripping the whole transmission out of the vehicle? thx.

You may have to adjust your shifter rod. Mine did the same thing and when I pushed the shifter while it was in park it would start. So adjust the rod so your shifter is forward more towards park
Russ

I had two issues recently. Car#1 the tab on the rooster comb was bent slightly to high. It didn’t contact the center of the switch. Car #2 was a floor shift E body. Though the linkage was all factory stock the travel from park to 1st was slightly short. Adjusting the linkage so the rod would slip in an out in neutral rather than adjusting in park or 1st solved the problem.
Doug

I had this problem and fixed it by the rod adjustment, but the problem returned. Ultimately, I replaced some of the plastic bushings that linkage rode on. This tightened up the slop and no more problem.

My 73 Road Runner has a console mounted shifter. This goes through the floor and a bracket and bushing hold that rod coming through the floor. Anyway, the rod was severely worn and I had a similar issue, along with the transmission sometimes not going into park well.

Bottom line is, as others above have said, start with checking all your linkage and be sure it is (a) in good shape and (b) adjusted properly.

I had a new one and it caused issues. Chased down a used one, installed it and no more problems.

My 67 s transmission was rebuilt on my column shift auto ,all seems fine but car will start in any gear! Is this a issue with linkage or neutral safety switch?

My 67 s transmission was rebuilt on my column shift auto ,all seems fine but car will start in any gear! Is this a issue with linkage or neutral safety switch?
start by checking the start relay isn't grounded at the brown wire, right beside the yellow wire.

Or maybe someone replaced the starter relay with a "Manual" style where the ground terminal is connected to the mounting bolt so it's always grounded.

Auto Transport Service
Back