• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral Safety Switch Replacement

Dave C

Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
I have read much of the discussion regarding NSS. This is a 70 GTX with the 727 auto HD trans.
The car would not start every time, however the reverse lights always worked (whether it started or not). I replaced all of the wiring right from the ignition switch down to the starter. This needed replacement anyway. Car still not starting every time. I replaced the neutral safety switch. Car started immediately and every time I attempted. The car was parked in the garage. I did not have reverse lights. The lights are new and previously worked with the old NSS. The car went into reverse easily and I backed it out. It would go into neutral however not drive. Felt like it was hitting something. I completely adjusted and lubricated the linkage. When I backed out the NSS, it went right into drive and all the gears. When comparing the old and new NSS; the new one is approximately 1/8" longer. So, I put a 1/8" washer on it and all was working except the reverse lights. Is there adjustment inside the transmission for the "rooster tails" that make contact with the NSS? Should I try another one? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

The rooster comb is one solid stamped piece of steel but, I would be suspicious of that new NSS. Did you retry the old NSS? Use a self powered test lamp while under the car, checking the switch functions repeatedly. It should light up when the rooster comb is solidly in the detent position-every time.
Mike

Three pin switch, the switch is also the reverse light switch. Get rid of the china crap and find a good one

Three pin switch, the switch is also the reverse light switch. Get rid of the china crap and find a good one
That is something I thought of. Do you have a place to get one? I tried the dealer to no avail. Everyone I have looked at is made in china.

I guess you could check with anyone that sells NOS stuff

Any chance that is a recent rebuild? There are three different rooster tails that can go in them, all different NSS switches.

topic=541.jpg

Forgot the newer cars have a 3 wire, I have a 1 wire style with a PB trans.
My NSS does not reach the comb.According to the pic above it looks like the 1 wire has 2 lengths.

Forgot the newer cars have a 3 wire, I have a 1 wire style with a PB trans.
My NSS does not reach the comb.According to the pic above it looks like the 1 wire has 2 lengths.
Thanks - it is the 3 wire. I think the trans was rebuilt, but that is what is in there.

Yes PIA to figure out, Got a HP one from Jegs, wrong rooster tail. Had to play around to find the right NSS, they put a one wire in, so no reverse lights for me.

Yes PIA to figure out, Got a HP one from Jegs, wrong rooster tail. Had to play around to find the right NSS, they put a one wire in, so no reverse lights for me.
Yes it is! Not to mention the shifter linkage is like game mousetrap. I got one from Napa, I’ll give it a try.

Some of the newer aftermarket switches (top) are well known to be too long.

NSS Too Long.jpg

Yes - basically that is the problem. I could try a smaller washer to shorten the distance it extends into the case.
You may be able to grind a larger chamfer on the insulator to ease the rooster comb engagement.
Mike

I think stacking washers to shim it might be the way id go if it became an issue to find another one the right length.

I have a few good used around let me get a picture if you want. Prob $15 and the ride.

Only the same a s the aftermarket switch in post 13

Auto Transport Service
Back