• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral Safety Switch

Mopar Phil

Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
when I first bought my ‘70 Rosdrunner it would only start if it was in neutral and would not start in Park (no crank)
It is an auto on the column.

Now I get no crank in any gear. The battery is good.

Any ideas on why I get no cranking?

I am thinking neutral safety switch ?

Does anyone have a video on how to replace the neutral safety switch ?

Ground the tab ON the relay that the wire to n/s is connected to. Be careful it will start in any gear if n/s is the problem.

N/S just unscrews and the trans fluid pisses on the floor if you don't put a pan under it. Been a while since I did one but probably you should have trans in any gear but neutral or park. Yours is a 3 pin? but note the gasket doesn't end up with two, make old one comes and not stuck to trans. I have to do before spring.
carb parts needed and neutral saftey switch 167.JPG

Last edited:
NSS is a good place to start. Word of caution, buy a Wells or BWD replacement, the standard motor parts seem to have a problem with leaking.

Easy test before you spend the money for a new nss.
You are looking for a ground on the brown/yellow tracer wire at the starter relay in park and neutral only. A volt/ohm meter or test light will do.

Auto Transport Service
Back