• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never much cared for separate bank accounts etc in a marriage....but....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:09 AM
Reaction score
I do now!! Even though I did pretty decent with money over the years and retired with a decent nest egg, I never ever planned on a divorce in my late 60's with 'her' wanting nothing much but the money. A buddy of mine who had been married once before the one he's in now learned the hard way too but it happened early on when he was still young and had a decent job. He and his present wife both make good money and both have things they've bought together from the 'general' fund and it seems to be working quite well with both having separate savings and checking accounts. Both of my marriages weren't all that great with my second one being worse but we hung together for 31 years and well....I wonder why at times. This post is leading to another soon about reverse mortgage....and yeah, I know many hate them but when the alternatives don't add up to being any better.....

I'm on my third marriage . I've never shared finances . We have separate accounts ,but our names are on both . My wife freely deposits large amounts in my accounts for unusual expenses like trips with out me asking . It helps that we don't have a mortgage or credit card bills . Neither one of us worries what the other is spending money on .

You and your buddy sound like a couple slow learners! :lol:

Just kidding. I'm still married but there's no way in hell i'd get married a second time now matter how good the strange is. Probably is good to have separate accounts though. I knew of a local kid who was married to a pretty hot looking gal. Dumb bitch had issues controlling her spending though. She had over $3000 in overdraft fees in one year! This was quite a while ago and of course they 're divorced. Last i heard of her (bout a year ago) she's defrauded some old person she was caring for out of a **** ton of money. Pretty sure she's in the slammer this time.

Submit & I started dating in March 1986 & I proposed 3 weeks later. We were married in June 1986 & we go together ....

goal-peas-n-carrots.gif

Last edited:
My wife and I have always had separate checking and savings accounts. 49 years and counting and never any arguments over money.

Been with my wife since 1984, all good never had a problem even when i dropped a ton of money on my money pit AKA my Charger. Feel bad for the guys that get caught in the divorce disaster. But if anything were to happen I’d be one and done, wouldnt give another one a chance to take my stuff that I broke my *** for . Just saying!

Last edited:
Regardless of who does what or how you get along, it doesn't hurt to have separate bank accounts as well as a joint account(s). Both my wife of 45 years and I have separate accounts I have four and she has at least two and we have a joint chequing. We both have separate credit cards accounts as well as a joint one. If either of us croaks we don't have to worry about a lack of funds because accounts have been frozen. In case of identity theft (which happened to my wife a few years back) they can't totally wipe us out. In that case it was stressful and inconvenient but we got every cent back. And it doesn't hurt to have a bit of cold hard cash tucked away either, you know, in case a killer deal on a hemi pops up at 2 a.m. on a Sunday or something like that !!

my sis and brother in law have separate accounts for over35 years and they love it that way. I never did I always handed my late wife the check.

We use the same mattress.

Been sharing accounts with my wife 44 years. Side jobs finance the hot rods. Works out fine.
Doug

Same

Seperate accounts since dating / marriage in 1998

Problem is my wife can’t keep a job for any extended period of time in the last ten years

So

If that = Divorce , what the hell difference does it make - She will end up with half anyways

Someone doesn't like peas and carrots?

Probably

Mine accused me of spending too much money but she never knew how much of the 'shop' money went into the house hold.....

So, same story with 2 of my buds
One guys is now retired and living in VA
The other is going through a difficult time here at Edwards AFB, right now...
Going on 1 year and still not D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D.....

OIP.RClKizcUW-smjBev7sTRRgHaHa.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back