• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New "402" Oil Pan: Paint on the inside??

Jack Luckhowec

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Mopar experts: I recently purchased a reproduction "402" oil pan for my 440 from Classic Industries. To my surprise, it was coated / painted inside and out.

In my many years, I have never installed an oil pan with any kind of paint on the inside.

Does anyone have experience with this pan?? Should I glass bead the pan prior to installation??

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jack

Me personally I would take it to bare metal... I am sure they are mass produced in China so prep/quality is unknown and nothing worse than having sheets of paint
possibly sucking up on the pick-up screen making it lose oil pressure...

I've seen factory pans on late model stuff painted inside & out.... I like it, sludge doesn't stick...

But as mentioned I wouldn't trust Chinese paint to stay stuck inside my engine..

It is probably primed on all surfaces to prevent surface rust.

If it was like mine, it's the same E coating that comes on AMD's body metal. No way I was taking it off.. on the inside! We blasted it off on the outside to paint the engine.
beerestoration2015-2016 1283.JPG

Last edited:
It is probably primed on all surfaces to prevent surface rust.
All the oil slinging inside a engine I doudt if it would rust. When was the last time you saw a rusty pan on the inside unless it has been setting for years or has been solvent cleaned.

I should have been more clear. I meant to prevent rust between the time it was made and the time a person buys it. Bare metal stuff can flash rust while sitting on a shelf, so I'm told.

^^^^^And during the long boat ride to get here.
I have seen posts about the internal painted tranny pans that the paint flakes off during use and clogs the filter.
Trust it ? your call.

I don't trust it; don't want cheap flaking paint to be the cause of engine failure.

Agreed it looks like the same stuff used on AMD parts, which seems good, but how does it last at high temps??

What did the factory do...what did any of the big 3 do? Throw Chinese manufacuring in the mix. I'd rather have bare metal.

I run that same reproduction 402 Oil Pan on my 383/432

That reproduction pan was on that 383 for a few years before I turned it into a Stroker

Had that pan off a billion times chasing an oil leak that ended up being a bent timing chain cover that wouldn’t seal around the alignment pins and oil leaks flow down and back along the gaskets

Anyways , inside of the pan was absolutely never never an issue when I cleaned it down inside , with that black e coat paint and I would have never even considered removing that paint

Last edited:
I've seen factory pans on late model stuff painted inside & out.... I like it, sludge doesn't stick...

But as mentioned I wouldn't trust Chinese paint to stay stuck inside my engine..
But yet we trust the Chinese 402 Oil Pan

LOL

I love the pan honestly - I thought it was a pretty damn good quality , good metal , well built pan in direct relation to my factory 1971 bent out of shape oil pan

I run that same reproduction 402 Oil Pan on my 383/432

That reproduction pan was on that 383 for a few years before I turned it into a Stroker

Had that pan off a billion times chasing an oil leak that ended up being a bent timing chain cover that wouldn’t seal around the alignment pins and oil leaks flow down and back along the gaskets

Anyways , inside of the pan was absolutely never never an issue when I cleaned it down inside , with that black e coat paint and I would have never even considered removing that paint

Thanks for your feedback; you are the first to have actual experience with this pan!!

I would run it as is.

The cheap Chinese parts with flaking issues are powdercoated over oily metal, or metal not prepped correctly. Paint doesn't have that issue, not sure about EDP coating though.

As far as paint on the inside of an engine, when I had my first engine rebuilt 20 years ago, the builder painted the lifter valley with rustoleum. He said it helps with oil drain back. I sold that car/engine 16 years later with 35,000 miles on it and the last time I looked at it, the paint was still in great shape.

If you do a google search for "painted lifter valley" lots of discussions about it will pop up.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back