• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New article today over at Hotrod: How to Build a Lightweight 650-hp Big-Block Mopar for the Street

Wow, was really interested in this until I saw the times.

"Best e.t. of 11.25 @ 121mph." seems to be a gross underperformer to me! This car should easily be running low 10's, high 9's with the parts described and the weight. Typical magazine underperformer.

"Best e.t. of 11.25 @ 121mph." seems to be a gross underperformer to me! This car should easily be running low 10's, high 9's with the parts described and the weight. Typical magazine underperformer.

Back in the day (early '80's), Larry Shepard over at Direct Connection figured that for the 9.90 class you needed to make 600 hp in a 2800 pound car. I bet quite a few guys here remember Mopar doing the work up on the 9.90 car. Duster with a tunnel rammed 440 with twin dominators as I recall. Should be better today with the new technology. So with 650 HP you'd hope 9.90 would be a baseline.

Back in the day (early '80's), Larry Shepard over at Direct Connection figured that for the 9.90 class you needed to make 600 hp in a 2800 pound car. I bet quite a few guys here remember Mopar doing the work up on the 9.90 car. Duster with a tunnel rammed 440 with twin dominators as I recall. Should be better today with the new technology. So with 650 HP you'd hope 9.90 would be a baseline.

I did the exact exact times they did with way more weight and way less cam and head! It's almost like it had a dead cylinder?!

I did the exact exact times they did with way more weight and way less cam and head! It's almost like it had a dead cylinder?!

.750 roller in that one, again, as I recall. I can't remember anything about the heads, but probably regular iron heads with 2.14 and 1.81 valves, ported and polished with triple springs. Probably too early for Aluminum B engine heads back then (but I stand to be corrected).

My Indy EZ headed .030 over 440 went 10.53@126 in a 3650lb car.

Looking at the car my guess is lack of traction = the bad times. Its not the engine build.

There's fast cars and there's fast driver's:D

Any idea why I'm not able to view the link? Only the Hot Rod articles are a problem

Any idea why I'm not able to view the link? Only the Hot Rod articles are a problem

Try looking on a different device. Way too many variables to guess what your problem is.

The mph says different. 121mph no matter lack of traction not.

If they get it took hook once it gets rolling, absolutely. But we're just guessing. The guys at Hotrod should have explained it. They know better. If I was one of the brands that supplied parts to that build I'd sure would have wanted them to give an explanation!

I want one of those mod man intakes!
I could put a 8-71 on my 383 :D

I read the drag test, time slips are from 2015.
One thing though, the dyno rate was 600 rpm/sec.. isn't it usually 300?

I think the write up is mainly a really long Indy advertisement.

Just another "opinion". It's much easier to write articles about building a lightweight 650 hp. BB Mopar WHEN YOU'RE USING SOMEONE ELSE'S CHECKBOOK.
My reality is that I couldn't afford HALF that ****, and neither could 99% of the ******** that wrote/participated in the article.

I read the drag test, time slips are from 2015.
One thing though, the dyno rate was 600 rpm/sec.. isn't it usually 300?
600 rpm/sec is still common in places. But.......there are some sissy-cake engines that just might blow up at 300 rpm/sec.......

............At least that is what I was told before a dyno contest I was at years back.

The previous year the test was run at 600 rpm/sec and this year it was to be 300 rpm/sec. One of the competitors balked at running a load of 300 rpm/sec because it would be "too hard on the engines". My son and I walked away from that conversation with both of us grinning ear to ear.

The contest hadn't even started yet and our lowly pump gas 451 had 50+ dyno runs at 300 rpm/sec......all @ 720+ HP.

You can tell all of that without even knowing all of the specs? Or am I missing something here because I couldn't find them. It looks like a high horsepower street car to me that is not optimal for the track.

If you know all of the specs please let us know so we can come up with our own conclusions

Auto Transport Service
Back