• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New-B Body

Doorkicker

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Well, I got bit by the bug.

For years I wanted to build a car with my son. I finally found the car I wanted and I've jumped in with both feet.

It's a 1966 Charger, dark blue with white interior. It's a 318 2bl, SB 727 with a 8 3/4 that appears to have a 2.94 rear gear.

I'm building a 440 RB (1977). Standard 30 over, all cast, so pretty much stock. Putting on a dual plane RPM performer and playing with an idea for a Holley sniper... or just go with a 850. But currently sizing a cam (open to ideas... hint hint).

I just yanked the 318/tranny, fuel system/tank & exhaust. Now rerunning all the brake lines, replacing suspension, and going to put on disc brakes all around. A lot of work to do and I may have bit off more than I can chew... but it'll be fun and I'll get a ton of time with my son.

I'm going to need a lot of advice and direction... so please be patient with me. Also, know I search A LOT before I plan to post... so I'll do my best not to ask stupid questions :)

2.jpg
11.jpg
33.jpg

Welcome from North Florida !!!
Congrats on the project and ask away :thumbsup:
Pictures on your first post are most impressive and deserves a "like"

Welcome from Alabama, great project.

Welcome from NY.
I'd probably consider just putting front discs on it with the manual master cylinder.
That's what I have on mine.

Looks like you need a new power steering hose.
The small block to big block switch requires a bunch of different parts.
You do realize you need all the accessory brackets and stuff for the front of the 440?
Wiring harness, exhaust etc...
Driveshaft?

Keep us posted it does look like a good 66 that you are working on.

I like the mopar .455 cam or the larger summit cam in a stockish motor.

Welcome to FBBO, nice 66 Charger project

Welcome from the Great White North of Canada...and to validate that statement we got 3" of snow last night! ;)

I'll give you my opinion on rear disc brakes, I put them on my wagon...they look cool and all but they are a waste of money and a PITA and you really don't get any better braking IMO. Better off to upgrade to the common 2.5" x 11" rear drums for convenience and reliability. I have my 2.5x11's already and I'll be converting them back when I finally get off my butt.:D

Welcome from NY.
I'd probably consider just putting front discs on it with the manual master cylinder.
That's what I have on mine.

Looks like you need a new power steering hose.
The small block to big block switch requires a bunch of different parts.
You do realize you need all the accessory brackets and stuff for the front of the 440?
Wiring harness, exhaust etc...
Driveshaft?

Keep us posted it does look like a good 66 that you are working on.

I like the mopar .455 cam or the larger summit cam in a stockish motor.

Hi Don,
Thanks for already helping!!
I'm starting to realize just how much I'll have to change!
I have the 318/727 still and based on how things go, I may just rebuild that and pop it back in. But I do have 95% of a 440 sitting in the shop with all new parts. Nevertheless, at the moment... I know I'll need (at least)... a new tranny, driveshaft, engine mounts, headers, wire harness, and brakes. All the brakes are shot... I'll probably take your advise... disc on the front and rebuild the rears... save $600.
I did buy new alternator brackets... not looking for PS brackets.
It's a ton, but baby steps I guess.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Car looks to be in very good condition. Thanks for posting the pictures and best of luck with it! I used to have a dark blue 66 Charger about 50 years ago or so!
:thumbsup:

Welcome – my dad and I restored a car back in the early 80’s. My father was a talented sort giving me the confidence to tackle that heady project (a lot more than realized) and learned a bunch from the experience. I would use that knowledge and experience later restoring my next car sadly after he departed, though there were times I wish I could have gotten his help and advice (among many other projects as I once could). So many fantastic memories working with my dad on that car.
Your son will have memories to cherish forever.

All the best with your project!

Hello and glad your here,have fun with your son on the build. :thumbsup:

Welcome from Illinois!! Father & Son Mopar project = Best quality time ever!

Auto Transport Service
Back