• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Build Axle Problems

BMosely

Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
Finally driving and car behind points out wheel wobble. We put it up on stands and it is pretty bad, both sides. Pulled wheel and retested with disk only installed and it is still there.
68’ 8 3/4” with new 489 3.55 sure grip. Axles are original with green bearings. Rear disk conversion(Right Stuff).
I am going to check the housing today, but I in it hard to believe that both ales are bent. History of the car is known and no wrecks. Any thoughts on where to start chasing here?

Keep stripping it down, check the axle flanges with a dial indicator next.
Mike

You tested with "disc only". Are the rotors setting square on the shafts?
Doug

You tested with "disc only". Are the rotors setting square on the shafts?
Doug

Yes, I ran some lug nuts back down on the naked rotor to make sure it was seated.

Yes, I ran some lug nuts back down on the naked rotor to make sure it was seated.

That doesn't mean squat, there could be a burr or something on a lug or on the flange. Odd that there'd be something on both but never-the-less, pull the rotors.

Or the wheels aren't straight. More likely the rotors aren't square on the axle flange..

Like stated, make sure the rotor is seated properly on the axle flange. Is the hole in the rotor clearing the diameter of the axle flange center?

Found a bad wheel when I first got mine together...

Here is the math. My gauge is in .01mm.
Looks like 3 o’clock to 9:00 is .05mm diff.
12:00 to 6:00 is .04mm out.

can someone give me a ruling on that. I will convert to inches in a minute.

067670AA-62AA-45BF-AB80-706E3AFBE641.jpeg CDBD2A5B-5CAA-499E-AF24-FCDA74D50388.jpeg

In English looks like .00196” and .00157”.
Seems the rotors are not seating on the stud shoulders.

I'd say that's good, without pressure against the flange you may just be measuring end play/bearing slop. Those studs look like they have a LOT of shoulder. Maybe the new rotors just need a lick off of their mounting holes.

May only need to counter sink back of rotor rather than drill?

Rotors. Opened up the holes with a stepped bit. All back in order now; Sort of.
Now right rear brake is groaning. Laser temp check says they are not dragging, but groaning at slow speed. Applying brakes kills it. I missed something when I put that side back together obviously.
The worst part is the face of a 16 yr old ( his soon to be car) that just wants to drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back