• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New bullet for the "Brick"

theman440

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
This is my first build thread so hopefully I won't bore everybody. A little back story - last September at the Street Car Super Nationals the call for 3rd round was announced. I hopped in the car to start it up and there was a terrible noise in the engine. I scrambled trying to figure out the problem then I noticed there was no oil pressure. It sat for a year but my son & I finally got the engine out to find out what happened.

IMG_20170910_131558790.jpg

Turns out the pick-up tube broke off at some point on my last run, I never heard any noises but I ran it long enough to hurt it. The #5/6 rod journal is bad and the rods are blue . . .terminal.

IMG_20170910_154236836.jpg

I built this short block in 1991, I put rod bearings & rings in it in 2001 when I put the Indy heads and DLI cam in it. It is a fairly simple .030 over 440, solid flat tappet cam 11:1 CR, single dominator, it lasted 26 years so I can't complain too much. There's no sense in repairing it IMO so I will build a new motor. The plan is a stroker (not sure on size yet) capable of high 9's to 10'0's. I will reuse my Indy EZs but will open the intakes up to MW size and port 'em, block girdle, external pickup, big roller cam, more compression, good rockers ETC. The old mill pushed the car to a best of 10.53 @ 126 so I'm not too far from the goal.

IMG_20170910_150216730.jpg

Anybody ever have this happen? snapped off flush with the block at the threads.

The car -

IMG_20170910_125239572.jpg

This is my first build thread so hopefully I won't bore everybody. A little back story - last September at the Street Car Super Nationals the call for 3rd round was announced. I hopped in the car to start it up and there was a terrible noise in the engine. I scrambled trying to figure out the problem then I noticed there was no oil pressure. It sat for a year but my son & I finally got the engine out to find out what happened.

View attachment 514733

Turns out the pick-up tube broke off at some point on my last run, I never heard any noises but I ran it long enough to hurt it. The #5/6 rod journal is bad and the rods are blue . . .terminal.

View attachment 514734

I built this short block in 1991, I put rod bearings & rings in it in 2001 when I put the Indy heads and DLI cam in it. It is a fairly simple .030 over 440, solid flat tappet cam 11:1 CR, single dominator, it lasted 26 years so I can't complain too much. There's no sense in repairing it IMO so I will build a new motor. The plan is a stroker (not sure on size yet) capable of high 9's to 10'0's. I will reuse my Indy EZs but will open the intakes up to MW size and port 'em, block girdle, external pickup, big roller cam, more compression, good rockers ETC. The old mill pushed the car to a best of 10.53 @ 126 so I'm not too far from the goal.

View attachment 514735
Anybody ever have this happen? snapped off flush with the block at the threads.

The car -

View attachment 514736
=====================very unusual !

It has happened before.I have found them cracked.Lucky that I had one break off while installing it.Not saying that you did(And I am guilty of this) Just needed one more turn to get it level to the bottom of the pan. Just a thought.
Your car is SOOO nice ! I've lusted over it .

- Darter6 "Your car is SOOO nice ! I've lusted over it" - Wow thats heavy dude! I appeciate the love.

At least your's happened in the pits, mine was in the lights at the far end @6000. Punched a rod out the left side and still figure a rod let loose. Naturally the oil pickup was toast, so was a lot of other stuff.

At least your's happened in the pits, mine was in the lights at the far end @6000. Punched a rod out the left side and still figure a rod let loose. Naturally the oil pickup was toast, so was a lot of other stuff.

- I said the same thing.

x2, I had a drive shaft chase me thru the lights once, barely kept from crashing., wish it had come off in the pits.... Neat car!

Well I've seen it around. Remember when you wanted to sell it.Hope to see it again at LVMS.

IMG_20170918_192656697.jpg

Here is the #6 rod (left) next to another - got pretty hot.

If you follow this thread you're gonna find out I'm a cheap SOB. I scored this "gently used" Milodon 30931 pan from a guy on Facebook - $150, but when the package arrived there was a bonus, the pickup and bulkhead fitting . . . cha ching! That's a $230 savings!

IMG_20170918_191332340.jpg
IMG_20170918_191332340.jpg

If you follow this thread you're gonna find out I'm a cheap SOB. I scored this "gently used" Milodon 30931 pan from a guy on Facebook - $150, but when the package arrived there was a bonus, the pickup and bulkhead fitting . . . cha ching! That's a $230 savings!

View attachment 516291 View attachment 516292
till u knock a hole in it on landing ! I always hated the center sump pans, and got completely away from them.

When I took a look inside the oil pan bulkhead fitting I noticed a restriction at the turn inside. It's a product of how it is made, my crude drawing (top) shows how the machining process leaves material in there which clearly causes a restriction. I used a round carbide burr in my cordless drill and cleaned out the extra material in the turn so now it looks like the lower drawing.

IMG_20170918_191054150.jpg

Also, on the pan end of the fitting I cut off the taper and beveled the opening - not sure if this will improve oil flow or not but It can't hurt it! - still need to work it some more.

IMG_20170918_191159329.jpg

A look inside the fitting -

IMG_20170918_191152470.jpg

Update, I dropped the heads off with my Cylinder head guy last night.

These are the valve covers I'm going to use on the new motor. I didn't realize how hard it was to find valve covers without holes in 'em. I've never seen another set like them - can anybody identify these?

IMG_20170918_191828654.jpg
IMG_20170918_191856492.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back