• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bumper Guards won’t fit New Bumpers on 64 Sport Fury

g413

Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
I bought a 1964 SF on eBay and the front and rear bumpers were bent and slightly rusted on the inside. I was debating between straightening and re-chroming or buying new. Classic had a 20% off deal so I bought new AMD front and rear bumpers about one year ago. They looked good and I was pleased with the quality.

I liked the look of rear bumper guards, but they were hard to get. I finally got the guards last week. Today I was going to put the guards on the bumper, and then put the bumper on the car.

The guards would not fit. It turns out the vertical alignment of the hole in the bumper is 3/4” off from the original bumper, and there is no way to make this work. So, my plan is to go without the bumper guards. I hope the new bumpers still fit the car without other interference.

Bottom line: New or existing rear bumper guards will not fit new AMD reproduction bumpers. If you want the bumper guards, get your old bumper refurbished.

These are things we find out after getting the product in hand. The bolt holes on my 69 runner bumpers where a little off. But found out that all after market parts are not like original. Hope you find an answer.

I think I will run this by AMD. Sometimes if you just had a warning up front, you could make a different decision.

On the bumpers, they could say, "Stock bumper guards will not fit on these bumpers.
On the guards, they could say, "These bumper guards will not work with AMD bumpers."

Ha ha, in a perfect world.

The below is right off the AMD website listing for these bumpers:

AMD bumpers are made from heavy gauge steel and feature OE quality chrome finish. All parts feature, depending on application, correct holes for turn signals or back-up lamps. Installation is fast and easy as all parts are designed to be a direct bolt-on utilizing OE bumper brackets and hardware.

They kind of imply everything will fit, but they don't specifically mention bumper guards.

Last edited:
I SCREWED UP. One person ask me what AMD said about this, so I ask them. I got a very responsible reply asking me to send details of what was wrong and they would check it out. I'm not used to good customer service. So I took pictures and took more measurements and the bumper holes DID seem to be in the correct place. So I compared the bumper guards and the difference was in the hole placement on the reproduced bumper guards as seen in the photo. I will contact AMD and apologize. Many companies sell these bumper guards. I'm not sure if they are all made by the same supplier, or not.

bumper guard.jpg

Ok so the guard you have is not an AMD part?

FINAL CHAPTER. No the guards are not made by AMD and I just got a note from PG Classic telling me what went wrong. They list bumper guards for 63, 65 Plymouth Bumpers. They do not say 63-65. PG explained that the 64 bumper is different and that the repo makers probably don't want to make these for just one year. I hope others can learn from my mistake and be sure to read the fine print. What a nightmare.

So your saying PG does not sell the correct 64 rear bumper guards? I only ask because I am not happy with the chrome on my original set and want to replace rather than having them re chromed. I see AMD does not sell them either.

Last edited:
I just talked to Joe Suchy....He only has the pads.

Could write a book (as I'm certain many others could) about parts that don't fit. I'm remembering the parking light gaskets on my '63 and wind lace among others offhand. Just IMO; I removed the guards on my ride (did the same on my '73 Challenger back when) not preferring the look of them. Of course, if want to keep it original a different story..

We ALL could Ron. Later E-Bodies def look better without them.

Auto Transport Service
Back