• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Caretaker for a Special Family Car

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
First of all, this is not a Mopar, so my advanced apologies if this offends you. Simply close the post before your eyes burn out of your eye sockets! :poke:

My father-in-law graduated high school in 1962. His dream car was a 1962 Corvette, but he couldn't afford one. Years later, he acquired the car of his dreams. This car has never been restored and has all original parts, minus a few smaller things like hoses, brake pads, tires, etc. It only has one major demerit from being a true survivor car, and that is that it was repainted (original color) many years ago. For those of you that know something about Corvettes: Nolan Adams wrote what is considered the "Corvette Bible" for these cars, and this car was used as a reference for that book! It is a very original high horsepower Corvette in excellent original condition.

Car specs:
  • 1962 Corvette - Original red car with a black interior
  • Both hard top and soft top
  • 340 Horsepower solid lifter 327
  • Close ratio Muncy 4 speed
  • 4.11 Posi rear axle
A few weeks ago, my father-in-law called me up and asked my if I wanted to become the new caretaker for this special car. It was not a hard decision!
Front_3_4.jpg

Back.jpg

I think my Mopars can peacefully co-exist with it (but I will keep them in separate garages just in case!)

Lou: Thank you for trusting me with the car - I promise to take good care of it.

Hawk

Solid lifter SB, always loved those. Had a buddy during high school with a 61/62, pulled engine with a 2x4&chain; 2 guys at each fender. Those were the days(1966-67).

Guess he likes you eh??!! Nice and they can coexist in the same digs... although I did sell the wife's on her this spring in hopes of finding a '64 Savoy or similar to replace it for her.

tee-hee-hee...I LOVE your newest addition to the family!
Congratulations hsorman!
Beautiful Iconic automobile!
Simply magnificent.
WOW
PS: one of my FAV years, last of the C1s

Route 66 TV Show year car right? Buzz and Chip!

First of all, this is not a Mopar, so my advanced apologies if this offends you. Simply close the post before your eyes burn out of your eye sockets! :poke:

My father-in-law graduated high school in 1962. His dream car was a 1962 Corvette, but he couldn't afford one. Years later, he acquired the car of his dreams. This car has never been restored and has all original parts, minus a few smaller things like hoses, brake pads, tires, etc. It only has one major demerit from being a true survivor car, and that is that it was repainted (original color) many years ago. For those of you that know something about Corvettes: Nolan Adams wrote what is considered the "Corvette Bible" for these cars, and this car was used as a reference for that book! It is a very original high horsepower Corvette in excellent original condition.

Car specs:
  • 1962 Corvette - Original red car with a black interior
  • Both hard top and soft top
  • 340 Horsepower solid lifter 327
  • Close ratio Muncy 4 speed
  • 4.11 Posi rear axle
A few weeks ago, my father-in-law called me up and asked my if I wanted to become the new caretaker for this special car. It was not a hard decision!
View attachment 679882

View attachment 679883

I think my Mopars can peacefully co-exist with it (but I will keep them in separate garages just in case!)

Lou: Thank you for trusting me with the car - I promise to take good care of it.

Hawk

How great is that!
Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks for the nice replies folks - much appreciated!

Nice looking ride so what's faster?
So it is a 340 HP close ratio 4 speed with a 4.11 in a light fiberglass car vs. a heavier 335 HP 4 speed with a 3.55. I think the Road Runner would get spanked. I opened up the Vette a couple of weeks ago from a rolling start and it simply destroyed the tires shifting to second. So the winner would easily be the Corvette...
... of course, I just started building a RB 400 based 500+ CI stroker for the Road Runner. After that, well, look out!! :steering:

Seriously, each car puts a smile on my face a mile wide. That's what these cars are for, right?!?

My Dad and I bought our 1960 Corvette together many years ago, but I never quite finished it. I was also able to keep a promise to my Dad about taking him for a ride - the finished Corvette just turned into a 1962 instead!

Here is a picture during the "swap". The outgoing unfinished 60, and the incoming 62:
60_62_Vette.jpg

Here is a picture of me taking my Dad out on a ride. He has early Alzheimer's, so I am happy I finally fulfilled my goal while he could still enjoy it!
Dad_Hawk_Vette.jpg

Hawk

My Mopar is a426hemi now a 487 hemi &
has been happy to sit next to my 66 Corvette
427.Have never heard either one complaint.
Congratulations on your new Vette,I am well
aware of Nolan knows is stuff

Sweet ride. love those Vettes !!!

Around late 74 a buddy picked up a 58 and stored it at my place. Really liked that car but he wouldn't sell it to me for nothing! Years later his druggie wife talked him into selling it and he did and regrets it to this day. I guess we've all been there :( Man, nutin wrong with a 60's (or even older) Corvette sitting in your garage! And you could always stick in a 350 horse 340 in it!! :D JK JK!

Beautiful car Hawk, love the early Vettes. That's a nice collection of cars you're assembling. You keeping the '60?

That is so awesome Hawk, especially the part about your Dad enjoying a ride in the Vette. It may not be a Mopar, but it is cool as a fan and truly an icon. Enjoy my friend.

Auto Transport Service
Back