• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Cold Case radiator, too narrow for my support brackets?

manic_mopar

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a new situation i'm running into as I complete my fuel and cooling upgrades. This new cold case radiator is a tank! Nicely built and looks awesome. I got the dual elec fans to go with it.

The issue i'm running into is the brackets that came with the radiator are about a total 2" narrower than the width of my radiator opening. After researching online through other sites, this radiator is pretty standard for size. I'm starting to think the radiator supports are not original. The width is 28.5" wide with the bolt holes nearing 31" wide. This radiator itself is measured out at 29" wide including brackets.

This is the new radiator: https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/d...luminum-performance-radiator-mt-17-x26/#tab-2

The old radiator is not OEM and it's not even the right era from me posting it on here a couple months ago.

So the question is, do I just go get some aluminum strips to close the gap and do some extensions, or am i missing something?

Also, do these cars have a free-floating radiator system with rubber isolators like in modern cars, or do we bolt them straight to the frame/radiator support?

Thanks everyone!

1008181339a.jpg 1008181339.jpg 1008181337.jpg 1008181336a.jpg 1008181336.jpg

What year do you have? That original radiator looks like a 1973 and newer 28" unit. Can you confirm the length?

I have never seen a classic mopar with any other mounting configuration other than bolted directly to the radiator support.

I put some small rubber grommets between my original radiator and the support when I reinstalled it after a recore. I just thought it would be good idea, to reduce potential vibration damage. It certainly hasn't had any negative effect.

What year do you have? That original radiator looks like a 1973 and newer 28" unit. Can you confirm the length?

I have never seen a classic mopar with any other mounting configuration other than bolted directly to the radiator support.

It's a '73. The old radiator has a core of 26 3/8" across, with a total width including brackets of 31.5". It's an odd shape. When i research radiators for this car year, they're all coming up with the sizing of the radiator that i bought.

Thanks for confirming the radiator mounting style. I also thought they are suppose to be mounted direct, as the one i pulled out was. Just wanted to make sure. Over the years we have found numerous "creative and unique" mods done to this car from the previous owners that we have had to fix.:rolleyes:

Radiator mounts directly to the support. You put one bolt in on the lower side, slide the radiator bracket onto it, then install the other bolts. Looks like your support is good, you should NOT need any additional brackets. If so, that radiator is no good.

I believe there was a 28 inch radiator In 1973. My guess is your car came with one, and the new radiator is a 26 inch. You could make it work, as long as the hose nipples are right, or you could send it back.

It's a '73. The old radiator has a core of 26 3/8" across, with a total width including brackets of 31.5". It's an odd shape. When i research radiators for this car year, they're all coming up with the sizing of the radiator that i bought.

Thanks for confirming the radiator mounting style. I also thought they are suppose to be mounted direct, as the one i pulled out was. Just wanted to make sure. Over the years we have found numerous "creative and unique" mods done to this car from the previous owners that we have had to fix.:rolleyes:
Ok, from what I can see, you probably originally had a 28" unit in that 1973. We are currently working on a 28" mopar unit because of these forums. You could return that one for a refund or exchange it for the 28" model when available.

Ok, from what I can see, you probably originally had a 28" unit in that 1973. We are currently working on a 28" mopar unit because of these forums. You could return that one for a refund or exchange it for the 28" model when available.

Thanks for responding. I didnt even know 28" units were a thing. Haha. I just assumed the normal 26" would work (thats what i get for assuming.)

Whats the rough time frame for yall finishing the 28" units? I may just make this unit work. Was thinking of going to a local fabrication shop and getting some 3-4" wide strips of aluminum to drill and bolt to the radiator supports, and then bolt the radiator to those strips. Thoughts?

Also, now that im mixing a lot of aluminum in with the cast iron for the cooling system (heads, water pump, radiator are all aluminum), is there a different type of radiator fluid i i should be using? Maybe similar to my modern hemi engine?

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Auto Transport Service
Back