• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Dash pads? are these any good?

aknotts

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
I am finally ready to put the dash back in my 73 Satellite. The only places I have found to recover the original is very expensive, like 1000.00, and takes weeks for turn around. My question is I see these being listed on ebay now, never saw them before. Are they any ggod , anyone ever seen one in person?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-74-Do...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

from the pics they look correct, they have a hard plastic core instead of the metal core but this car won't be sitting out in the sun much anyway.

Any thoughts?

I bought one once that was plastic frame, it was total crap, went back the very next day. You want a metal frame, and those that advertise that you need plastic so it doesn't rust out are full of crap, there is no way a steel core dash pad will ever rust out unless you leave it under water for 30 years! I hope you got the one from ABC Moparts, they are supposed to be the best on the market at the moment according to feedback I have seen here.

When you get your dash pad, put it in direct sunlight for a few days. If it's anything like the last couple I received from Year One, it'll start to de-laminate in short order. Your better off finding out now than after you install it.

What the hell, I bought it, guess we'll see
I was going to have my original dash pad redone by Just Dashes and I wish I had. I got my reproduction from Classic Industries and it wasn't quite right. Some holes weren't all the way or tapped fully, some edges needed to be trimmed, and some parts of it needed to be muscled in to fit. It looks good, but the originals fit perfectly. Sadly, I sold my original for $40 or $20 with just a few cracks on top.

Cancel it and call Bob at ABCmoparts.com
He uses original cores. Best pad and best price.

I've been over the moon trying to get these pads made correctly. ABC moparts does have the best on the market so far. His pad will require some precision trimming around the pad where the top of the instrument panel goes. If he can get that area of the pad corrected in a mold, he will have the perfect pad. With that being said, his pad is still the one to buy

Twenty years ago I took my original green dash to my uphoistery shop to have it recovered using material to match the interior seats. The pad still looks the same as the original at a fraction of the cost of sending it out for a molded reproduction. Just an idea for those of us on a low budget.

Twenty years ago I took my original green dash to my uphoistery shop to have it recovered using material to match the interior seats. The pad still looks the same as the original at a fraction of the cost of sending it out for a molded reproduction. Just an idea for those of us on a low budget.

But for a 3rd gen, the groove around the cluster opening will be unexistant

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62912.jpg

Restored Challenger 4 years ago. Kept the original and bought a Year One.

No issues to date. Paid $575.00 for it.

DSCN0176.JPG

Thanks for the input everyone, I am just getting back here to look at this so the part has already shipped. I will see what it looks like when it arrives and give some feedback here. It amazes me how bad some of the parts I have ordered from "reputable" sources have been, including Year One" I hope this one is OK but if not I will try some of these suggestions and mark it up as another lesson learned.

I sent a lot of stuff back to year one, mostly interior stuff, including dash pad, seat covers, kick panels, door panels, stripe kit, carpet underlay, roof rail weather stripping, headlight switch, fuel sending unit and heater control valve just to name a few, all because they were either incorrect reproductions or an inferior product!

I've been over the moon trying to get these pads made correctly. ABC moparts does have the best on the market so far. His pad will require some precision trimming around the pad where the top of the instrument panel goes. If he can get that area of the pad corrected in a mold, he will have the perfect pad. With that being said, his pad is still the one to buy

Exactly my experience with the pad I purchased from ABCMoparts, the area around my rally dash did require a bit of work to get a correct appearance. Otherwise, nice product and good vendor to work with.

does the ABC pad gets the groove around the cluster front opening correctly done?

Mine looked good and yes, I checked it over carefully for any doubters

Auto Transport Service
Back