• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New dash wiring

Mark1972

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I've got an open thread in the steering section as I've just removed my steering column in order to detail it properly, rebuild the coupling, and figure out the lower column section in regards to supporting the steering shaft. While it's out(first time ever)I was thinking of doing what I should have done years ago. All new dash wiring harness. The engine harness is new, as I went from LA to RB, but under the dash is a mess. Maybe now is a good time to update it. The wiring in the back of the car is all done. Can anyone suggest a good dash wiring harness, and maybe a few tips or pointers. Automotive electrical is a weak spot for me, but given time and clear labelling and some direction I think I can do it. Thanks all.

For any harnesses I'm not building myself I like M&H, usually purchased through Year One...they have always been good quality as well as accurate.

I guess another possibility is rebuilding the under the dash harness myself. Label everything, remove it, lay it out on a board, and purchase the correct color wire and connectors. Most places have either the engine harness, or the entire car harness. I only need the dash wiring. I have a wiring diagram. My guess would be connectors would be toughest to find. Thoughts?

Good on you for even considering building your own! I use 'wire barn' for the proper wire colors and types (TXL,...etc) and while it's been awhile I like Delmarwire.com for connectors. There are other sources I'm sure, but he always had all the factory-style connectors..today though who knows, call and tell them what you need.
Keep in mind, value-wise, it may end up being cheaper and easier to just buy a pre-built harness so I always weigh my options before deciding.
Either way good luck with the swap..I love what you've done with the car! Awesome.

DO NOT DO PAINLESS.. Unless you have plenty of time to splice and crimp stuff. Go with the M&H they are factory harnesses and pretty much are plug and play.

Good on you for even considering building your own! I use 'wire barn' for the proper wire colors and types (TXL,...etc) and while it's been awhile I like Delmarwire.com for connectors. There are other sources I'm sure, but he always had all the factory-style connectors..today though who knows, call and tell them what you need.
Keep in mind, value-wise, it may end up being cheaper and easier to just buy a pre-built harness so I always weigh my options before deciding.
Either way good luck with the swap..I love what you've done with the car! Awesome.

Depending on harness conditions really but I don't think fix a dash harness is really expensive in any form, but sure could be time consuming if wiring is not between the owner's skills.

While a new harness can sit into $500-600 rate, fix a harness hardly could reach $250-300 rate maybe less, and that's just if bulkhead needs replacement, since this part is the expensive one being into $80-100 rate.

Auto Transport Service
Back