• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New fuel gauge

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
8:44 PM
Reaction score
hello replaced my fuel and temp gauge with ones from classic last year ,all was fine ,fuel gauge just stopped working for no reason.Any way to test the gauge without taking dash apart again ?I had to change that part that slides in the back of panel think the new gauges needed different volts think that part is fine the temp gauge which I bough at the same

Fuel gauge problem could broken or bad ground strap at the gauge/fuel line access at the tank, or the sender in the tank has broken windings or bad float.

Easiest way I know to test the gauge is to jack the *** end of the car up & get under it (jack stands of course). Remove the gauge sending unit wire & run it to a known, good ground (even a very long wire to the negative of the battery). With the key in "run" the gauge should peg all the way on the full side. If it does, then the gauge and wire going to it are good.

BTW, I chased the fuel gauge issue for a while before pulling the sending unit out of the tank & inspecting the windings with a magnifying glass to see the broken winding. Then making sure the ground strap had good contact.

Auto Transport Service
Back