• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New gas tank coating?

Mheiron

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
I’ve finished undercoating the back of my 69 Charger project and I’m ready to hang the new gas tank (mainly to get it out of my way!).

what’s the best coating or should it be left bare?

I have clear coat, black chassis paint and the body Schutz stuff.

I’m currently thinking just clear coat.

Thanks for the thoughts or opinions.

Black chassis paint. Even if you clear it eventually it'll rust and you'll easily see it. I actually undecorated mine. 440'

When new they were a galvanized type coating, silver. Since you be in a high heat area, you may want to stay away from black since it gets the hottest. If your pump fuel is anything like our Cali swill, the boiling point is around 150*. It would be in your interest to choose something thats going to reflect the ambient heat along with whats coming off of the road surface. Some companies make heat reflective coatings in black, look at the ones that make thermal coatings for engine components. Swain Tech is one that comes to mind. Our old carbureted cars have issues with vapor lock because the fuel is hot. Didn't have much of a problem with that when they were new but back then the fuels had higher boiling points too. Just a thought.

When new they were a galvanized type coating, silver. Since you be in a high heat area, you may want to stay away from black since it gets the hottest. If your pump fuel is anything like our Cali swill, the boiling point is around 150*. It would be in your interest to choose something thats going to reflect the ambient heat along with whats coming off of the road surface. Some companies make heat reflective coatings in black, look at the ones that make thermal coatings for engine components. Swain Tech is one that comes to mind. Our old carbureted cars have issues with vapor lock because the fuel is hot. Didn't have much of a problem with that when they were new but back then the fuels had higher boiling points too. Just a thought.

When the old fuel tanks were built, they used a material called, TERNE plate or TERNE coat. This material is lead based.
FYI.... Terne is traditionally an alloy of lead and tin, typically in a ratio of four-to-one, that is used as a coating in producing terneplate. In recent years, lead has been replaced with zinc and is used in a ratio of 50/50. The process of using zinc is called galvanizing. Galvanized material can actually "heal" itself with a coating of zinc oxide. Zinc coating is usually applied thru the process called "hot dipped or hot dipping"
BOB RENTON

I'm for clear coating it... mine 5 years later now and I live on a gravel road.
beedriveshaftujoint 001.JPG

bee200mileinspectionjune12020 015.JPG

Are any of the spray paints from eastwood a reasonable substitute for the tanks color ?

Mine was NOS when installed 25 years ago. And its showing its age.
I would like to brighten it up a little if I can

I used the Eastwood's stuff many moons ago on my previous F-Body Volare roadrunner.
I found the paint to be very thin.
After about 2 years on the car it started showing the base metal in some spots.
I took it out and my neighbour ended up painting it with an enamel paint.
The color he chose was a mid 90's Chrysler wheel cover silver.

Auto Transport Service
Back