• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Gas Tank Problems

slepr1

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I'm not that impressed with the Spectra Fuel Tank I purchased. First of all, these tanks are made here in Canada about 40 minutes away from where I live. It's cheaper to buy the tank in the US than it is locally. What a crock! I purchased it from RockAuto.

Anyway, I had the tank and straps powder coated by a reputable local company. I got it back and upon inspection I notice the weld coming apart from one of the vent tube nipples (ya I like using that word). I touch it and it fell in the tank. What the hell! I shine a flash light in the tank and see another vent tube inside has broken its weld and is hanging.
I will call Spectra themselves to see if I can deal with them instead of returning it to RockAuto for exchange. I will be out the money I paid to get it power coated which really burns. Powder coating heats up to around 392 F.

Are the tubes welded or soldered? Solder begins to melt at 361 F, but it's not fully melted until it reaches 420 F.

Screenshot_2015-04-19-00-44-31.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-19-00-44-42.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-19-00-44-52.jpg

No help, but sorry to hear this. It is a crock all right. Keep us posted on the resolution. Spectra feedback on here is usually good.

I'm fairly certain that the tubes are in fact soldered, and not welded. It looks like the powder coating process may have ruined your tank, and likely chances of any recourse against the manufacturer.
Sorry to hear this of course. I had my tank painted for that nice clean finish. :icon_thumright:

Soidering it back in place should not be a problem unless you have put fuel in the tank. If you can not soider take it to a radiator shop and have it fixed. I can not emagine the manufacturer of the tank taking responsibility for an altered tank.

Soidering it back in place should not be a problem unless you have put fuel in the tank. If you can not soider take it to a radiator shop and have it fixed. I can not emagine the manufacturer of the tank taking responsibility for an altered tank.

I agree they probably won't give any warranty. If it was suppose to be welded and it broke apart that easy that's another issue.
I'm going to try to remove any loose vent tubes and patch the holes somehow. I only need one vent tube anyway since thats what my previous tank had.

That sucks, but at least you don't have gas in it yet and can be easily fixed.

I just installed a spectra tank in my 67 Dodge. It was high quality and excellent fit.

Not positive, but I would have thought any solder on a tank, would have been silver solder. Silver solder takes a lot more heat to work it, than regular solder, and a lot stronger, too.

Never had anything powder coated, but was always told the part had to be baked at a fairly high temp. That's what got to the solder, most likely.

Auto Transport Service
Back