• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy has Super Bee buying question.

Motown1

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
I’m new to the website as a member but have read many post over the years and am currently a newer Mopar owner: 19 Redeye and a 17 Power Wagon. I’ve had a few other other Mopars but it’s been over 25 years since. Coronets,Charger, Road Runner etc. I am currently looking for another old one to play with. My question is about buying from a dealer or private person these days? I have no problem building but I work crazy hours and odd days off...railroad. I have looked at this 70 Copper colored V code superbee 440+6 4spd Dana 4:10. The dealer sent many pictures of the being restored rotisserie style and has about 500 miles on it. I would like to have the opinions from you guys after looking at dealer pictures/videos if it’s worth traveling to look at or not. The price has been lowered much more than advertised after talking about my budget. The car has the entire photo album and should have access to the seller but have not had a chance...just want opinions about the car and flaws you all might see. Sorry for the bad English/grammar...iPad typing sucks. Thanks much. Nate.
https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/STL/7616/1970-Dodge-Super-Bee-V-Code

Only way to really know is to go see it.
Looks like a decent driver type restoration.
Could be way better or way worse than the photos show

Yeah I plan on being down there soon but sometimes others can see what one misses. Thanks much.

Looks purdy.. and then you see a totally corroded fender Pentastar and well worn trunk Bee. Front suspension looks like it was dropped out of the car for body restoration/paint and put back in with some new upper control arms. Arm rests totally bent out of shape.. etc. As VC said, go look at it in person before dropping a dime.

Thanks for the reply. I did notice those small things but this is why I’m glad I asked for you all to look. Thanks much.

I believe it should have wood grain dash and I thought 1970 pistol grip should be dark wood grain. Dash could go either way pending build date..Please correct me anyone.

Nice car! I’m far from an expert, but one thing I’ve learned is that if they let obvious details slip they may have things that are not obvious defective, as well.
I have no reason to doubt these guys work but I’d be checking some of the hard to see, hard to get at spots. Bottom of the doors, bottom of the cowl, wheel wells etc.
Probably they put new quarters or patches on, I’d be checking where that weld is for excess bondo. Also the Dutchman panel.

Yes.. I forgot... have a GOOD look at those lower rocker pictures. I've seen less wave on the Ocean.

Wavy gravywell I guess this ones out. I really do appreciate the feedback and the search will go on.

I’d look at private owner cars myself.
Remember, these muscle car flipper joints mark cars up 30 to 50 percent

I new there would be a markup and I’ve learned from the past to be very careful of sellers. The car caught my eye and I did notice most of the flaws you guys called out but I’m not the most educated body man...mechanical for me. Plus the comments you all make are making me laugh

It's definitely easier & cheaper to buy a car already done, BUT You really need to look it over carrfully, and ask for pre-existing pics, before the work. It's even better if you know the restorer, and can trust his word on it. A lot can be covered up, only to re-appear down the road...

It's not outrageous on price. I'd take a look in person and a test drive. Let us know what you find.

They have a Red 70 Hemi car for sale also,
Be careful w/ out a VIN check as the Red Hemi car is a Clone
Only 54 or 64 Superbees had the Hemi and thay are very expensive
Ensure this is a V-code car first
Also, it looks really nice but in my opinion, these guys are pricey!

I agree with ski, gateway is way pricey. I recently had been searching for a car and found that most if not all of the "muscle car dealers" are at least 30% overpriced. Was the price different than what was on they're website?

Thanks for all the feedback and I have taken it all in. The price was $10k below advertised. Like I said, I have looked at many many cars on dealer sites and some private but a few have perked my curiosity and this was one of them. A 69 Bee would be preferred but the price. I tried to do research on the V code but not have had to much luck and that’s why I have come here. I would definitely look and drive any car before money changes hands. I just don’t have the knowledge of some if the small things that the rarer ones have. And there is no way I would pay for that red Hemi bee they for sale. I will keep on keeping on.

Auto Transport Service
Back