• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Harness

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
I bought the EZ Wiring harness, and after 3 hours of looking at the FSM and the small printing on the wires, my eye said that was enough and proceeded to get a migraine.....that lasted for 2 days. Anyone close to Fresno that wouldn't mind helping me. I've got plenty of YOUR favorite adult beverage and all you can eat (whatever you like).

I hate asking for help, but my friends seem to be busy.......racing, family, working on their car, etc. Kinda like needing some to move, no one is available, lol!!

Sounds interesting, but bit too far to go (Texas).

Don't know if it helps, but the harnesses I've done in the past, helped a lot using a scrap piece of plywood. If you've got the old harness, it helps, too. Using nails, or whatever, lay the wiring out on the plywood. Just helps some to keep track of it all, lining things up, going by the diagram. Old harness would give wiring lengths.
Once everything is laid out, I'd wrap it.

Good luck on it! I've got some to do, too.

Well a buddy of mine said he would come over next week and help me out.

Hi 5.7 Hemi, I just finished rewiring my 71 bird and I just wanted to throw a few tips at you. If you're rewiring completely, your nightmare will become almost (lol) a dream if you have your harness divided into sections, ie; a pigtail for the headlight section, one for the engine compartment, one for the interior cab and one for the tail light section. Before you remove all your all wiring, cut them about 10 inches from the connectors, but never remove the wiring with them, save yourself another migraine. You should be able to just splice your wires to the existing connectors, they should be color coded so it won't be as bad as it seems, really, it just looks scary. It will be tedious, so patience will pay off at the end when you don't have to go back because something doesn't work right.... :) Good luck...

It's not that I cant do the wiring, it's my only eye that gets "overworked" and with as many surgeries as that eye has had, it just cant take the constant strain which leads to migraines......yeah, it's a bitch. Thanks for the tips!

Ahhh! Good to hear I'm not the only one around with just one eye. Other one is plastic.
Lost it working on a Mopar wheel bearing.

Know exactly what you mean, 5.7 hemi!

Woohoo! My buddy is coming tomorrow to help wire my car and I have plenty of his favorite liquid refreshment on tap. Normally I wouldn't let my friends consume such tasty beverages while working on my car, but I swear, the more he drinks, the better the better he works!! Gotta be a NAVY thing, lol!

My buddy laid out all the wiring, labeled each wire for me so that I could read it without straining my eye. So a big thanks to "Senior Chief" for that and for drinking most of my beer, lol!

When I did the Painless harness in my neighbors 68 C20 Chebby, it took me 3 wks to install working at it a couple of hours here, couple there etc. What took the longest was the routing, looming, clamping, rub through protection, making grounds and some parts schlepping. Terminating the wires didn't take long. Its the detail work that slows down the works but its worth it. Nobodies loom packages come with looming materials, tape, wire clamps, wire ties etc so stock up well before hand. As far as being able to read the fine print on the wires, cut off a short piece with lettering and find the reading glass aisle at the drugstore. Find a pair that works and you will be set. I use a pair in my garage when lettering is small, hard to read, eyes tired etc.

My eye has had too many surgeries on it (shrapnel) so it just gets tired quickly cause it has to do the job of 2 eyes.

I did spend a few hours today hooking up the rear section, figured the head h/l switch, gauges, and then called it quits.

I have just a few left to hook up, and so far everything that is hooked up, works as it should. Gonna see if the starter will turn over today and hopefully get the backup wires off the 4spd hooked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back