• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a fun/secret project in mind

LittleMo124

Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I won't make this too long since I don't have the Mopar yet. New guy here in New Mexico scouring the internet for a specific car to build. Dad is getting up there in age and I'm at a point where I can give him his dream car. He bought himself a brand new '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus while in the navy that was T-boned a few year later. He loves to talk about how awesome the car was to this day. I've been considering a project car for a while and had the epiphany to restomod/restore him one while we were at a car show one day.

I know he had a rare trim so accuracy isn't too important at the moment, but would be a plus. Also not looking to spend a lot on a survivor car since I want to give him modern day powertrain and luxuries after all his surgeries.

I noticed this is the perfect community to join with this project in mind. I've seen a few good leads here and there will be plenty of available advice as well. I will also keep updates coming as the project actually gets going and as ideas change.

Welcome to the site and yes this site is more active than most of the other ones. You can get plenty of information here. Also you can look through the for sale section and maybe you can find a start. Most guys here live, breath and eat Mopar. OK maybe not eat.. But you get the point.

Welcome from Alabama, you will find everything covered here, stock, modified, restmods, drag racing, and plenty of technical advice, but pictures are a must once you land that car. Join the fun.

It's not easy to improve on a 72 SSP, they were pretty comfy cars. I assume they were all cars with PS, PB, A/C, and even with a 318, plenty of power. One might put a aftermarket fuel injection on it.

Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. ruffcut

Welcome from North Florida…
You came to the right place.
You should be able to find one of those as I see them for sale from time to time.
Good luck and great thing to do for your dad :thumbsup:

Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! 440'

Welcome from Illinois! Best wishes on finding the right car for your dad. Great that you're going to put him back in a Mopar!

Welcome from southern Illinois !

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome from PA!

What a great project to get and build a car for your dad; I'm sure it will be a dream come true for him!

Now, a couple of thoughts to consider:
How much have you worked on cars? Have you done any restorations? The reason I ask this is it is a major investment of time and money to completely rebuild any car. It makes no difference what type it is, although some, like a 72 Satellite, may have some trim pieces that are harder to find (adding to cost/time). Also, replacement metal for these cars is also difficult - they are not supported nearly as well as the 68-70 models.
I know you said you didn't want to buy a survivor or restored car since you will be building a restomod. However, if you don't have a lot of experience doing this I highly suggest such a car. Then you can modify it to your liking. This will probably be much quicker, and ultimately cheaper too unless you can do most of the work yourself.

Good luck whatever you decide. Regardless of what you end up buying, FBBO knowledge will be here for your project!

Thanks for all the welcomes.
Welcome from PA!

Now, a couple of thoughts to consider:
How much have you worked on cars? Have you done any restorations? The reason I ask this is it is a major investment of time and money to completely rebuild any car. It makes no difference what type it is, although some, like a 72 Satellite, may have some trim pieces that are harder to find (adding to cost/time). Also, replacement metal for these cars is also difficult - they are not supported nearly as well as the 68-70 models.
I know you said you didn't want to buy a survivor or restored car since you will be building a restomod. However, if you don't have a lot of experience doing this I highly suggest such a car. Then you can modify it to your liking. This will probably be much quicker, and ultimately cheaper too unless you can do most of the work yourself.

HawkRod,
I'm starting to have these same concerns. I do have experience working on cars and a small amount of experience with restorations. I have friends with a full shop where a Mustang has been fully restored. I'm just starting to help a friend do a ground up job on a 260Z. But, I'm also finding out just how rare my dad's taste in cars is. I've almost given up trying to find the SSP because I've only seen a few Satellite Sebrings (RH VIN) pop up in the last few months, no SSPs. In my research I've noticed the lack of support for these model years in everything from the panels and trim to crazy things like a Schwartz Performance chassis. I've spotted a potential car on this forum for sale that looks like a good base to start with, but does have things like the side trim missing. I'm excited to get started, but I know I need to be patient for the right one to be available.

-LittleMo

Auto Transport Service
Back