• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New hurst shifter problem

moparfanUSA

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Installed the new Hurst shifter and once in found out when put into first or 3rd the handle hits the dash, so something is wrong. On Hurst's website it says it says it fits 69 console cars. I didn't expect the new handle to be exactly like the old one, but its not the same. You can see in the picture what the new one looks like.

handle.jpg

........I didn't expect the new handle to be exactly like the old one, but its not the same.......
Wow, looks like the passenger would have to shift for ya' with that handle.

BTW, the two pictures posted (#2 & #3) above are the same handle I got from a '69 RR stick car to do my change over in my '68 RR auto car w/o console. Nobody could ever forget using this handle without a console for how it looks. Lol, I couldn't find another handle fast enough.

Last edited:
no, not in backwards, we put the console in and if fits right in the center. The problem is Hurst says this handle fits a 69 console.

Somebody put the wrong part in the wrong package or something. You got the wrong handle!

I have to say that on my 70 pistol grip/console (what it looks like you have), I have banged my knuckles on the dash MANY times....it's really, really close. And yes, these guys are correct about your handle, 69 got the Hurst linkage, but the pistol grip didn't come out until 1970

The idea that the wrong handle has been used sounds most plausible.:thumbsup:

Something else to consider is that there are different mounting blocks for the shift mechanism. If this is a new conversion, make sure the correct block has been used.
$_1.jpg

Lets be clear and only talk about the year make and model in question and stop convoluted things....

At 1st and 3rd I have about 4" in between the dash and ball during engagement....At rest in 1st and 3rd it is about 6-7 inches....

The handle is 100% wrong for an early, mid, late 69 console B body

Send it back and call brewers to get the right one for your car.

FWIW, My '69 book is showing only 1 w/console for Belvedere and Coronet (pn 2950 057).
Picture shows a "no console" and a "with console" (similar to pictures above).
upload_2018-2-21_13-39-19.png

This is the shifter you referenced and they are not the same as his.....

The picture from me and Ranger are the correct handle....

Lol, Check your agree list in post #2. Did you read post #4? I might have slipped something by ya'.:D

Lol, Check your agree list in post #2. Did you read post #4? I might have slipped something by ya'.:D
.....I have 50 million things going on...lol.....overlooked that one, sorry.....

Spoke to Brewers and Dan said he sells the handle I have for the 69. While it is not the correct looking handle, he said it should work fine in a console car. Kiwi could be correct, it could be the plate. Dan was at a loss as to why the one I have would not work.

Verify your engine/trans is positioned properly along with the bellcrank.
Make sure the adapter is correct (Kiwigtx post). For example, an abody adapter will cant the shifter a lot further forward at the top. BTW, The picture you provided appears to show it's not an abody adapter.
Verify neutral in the linkage/trans adjustments.
Investigate any possibility of repositioning the handle at the base and shimming it so it can't move back forward.
If the above is correct, just an idea to consider. YMMV with this......You might try moving one of the mount holes in the adapter a bit.
A little here would go a long way out at the end of a log handle. The top hole would be my choice in the adapter below.
Verify you'll still have enough threads on the linkage rods for the hole you move.
Or........make your own adapter.
upload_2018-2-22_7-22-26.png

Auto Transport Service
Back