• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Iron RB & Hemi Blocks

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
Saw a link/thread posted to FABO, but not on FBBO. Here goes.

Callies and Energy Manufacturing Bring Back Mopar Gen II Hemi/Wedge Cast Iron Engine Blocks

A new deal with FCA Group puts the 426 Hemi and the 440 Wedge back on the track in a big way.
Jan 20, 2020

Together with Energy Manufacturing Ltd. (Energy), Callies Performance Products (Callies) announced a new licensing deal with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles to manufacture and distribute the 426 Hemi and the 440 Wedge cast iron engine blocks and cylinder heads (cast iron and cast aluminum). The agreement provisions Energy to produce the cast iron blocks and cylinder heads, while Callies will manufacture supporting components and rotating assemblies. Sales and distribution will be based at Callies in Fostoria, OH.

Up until now, there’s been a serious lack of supply for both blocks, which are classic favorites for street applications and sportsman racing alike. Heath Norton, vp of both Callies and Energy, says “The marketplace hasn’t had real access to this product in over a decade. Now customers will be able to get these blocks consistently through the Callies dealer network with Mopar 426 Hemi and 440 Wedge part numbers for their engine builds.”

All parts manufactured will carry an authentic Mopar part numbers and be produced from original Mopar molds, cores, and engineering data. Orders will begin to ship in the third quarter of 2020.

Callies will be releasing more details about ordering and available options. For questions, builders and racers should contact Callies.

For more information: callies.com or energymanufacturing.com.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/20...ar-gen-ii-hemi-wedge-cast-iron-engine-blocks/

Hopefully a larger and better quality product will reduce the cost that is involved in the quest for more HP in our muscle era machines or anything else we choose to upgrade. I hope this is not another involvement for a quick buck.

Hopefully FCA license agreements do not drive the price out of range for the mass audience. You would think that all involved parties have looked into production cost, target buyers and pricing.

With Energy and Callies footing the investment and all aspects of the roll out, hopefully FCA is just a formality of getting them licensed for roll out. The bureaucracy for such an endeavor can be a road block for many and push the pricing beyond the scope for the targeted enthusiast.

I have also heard that Indy Cylinder Head might be relocating to Ohio as well. I wonder if that move might be in consideration of this venture as well.

Either way, great news and looking forward to it becoming a reality.

Old thread. Now with time since the new iron blocks have been out awhile. How is the machining accurate enough to assemble a street engine as delivered?

Hopefully FCA license agreements do not drive the price out of range for the mass audience. You would think that all involved parties have looked into production cost, target buyers and pricing.

With Energy and Callies footing the investment and all aspects of the roll out, hopefully FCA is just a formality of getting them licensed for roll out. The bureaucracy for such an endeavor can be a road block for many and push the pricing beyond the scope for the targeted enthusiast.

I have also heard that Indy Cylinder Head might be relocating to Ohio as well. I wonder if that move might be in consideration of this venture as well.

Either way, great news and looking forward to it becoming a reality.
Thats one problem with the mothership. They price themselves out of the market. Its no wonder GM and Ford kick their butts on the performance offerings.

Thats one problem with the mothership. They price themselves out of the market. Its no wonder GM and Ford kick their butts on the performance offerings.
Yep, good 'ol Mopar guys....we'll whine about all the availability for GM blocks and then when someone finally starts making mopar blocks hardly anyone buys one..(of course the 5K price tag doesn't help)..we'll see how it goes.

(First, i havent researched this enough to know if these blocks really are $5000)
I think that price point is VERY off-putting. I would love to have a 4.500 capable block, to build a 572" engine. But to look at it another way, i can throw a lot of lower end bandaids at a stock block, put together a stroker short block, and have some coin left over for good heads, or i can look at a nice bare block on an engine stand.
If you are producing a block, and you sell one for $5000, or twenty for $3500, which makes more sense?
If i was trying to make 900-1200 horsepower, yeah a good block is neccessary. How many people are trying to make 900? Trying to make 600-650, i'll try to make do with what i have.

(First, i havent researched this enough to know if these blocks really are $5000)
I think that price point is VERY off-putting. I would love to have a 4.500 capable block, to build a 572" engine. But to look at it another way, i can throw a lot of lower end bandaids at a stock block, put together a stroker short block, and have some coin left over for good heads, or i can look at a nice bare block on an engine stand.
If you are producing a block, and you sell one for $5000, or twenty for $3500, which makes more sense?
If i was trying to make 900-1200 horsepower, yeah a good block is neccessary. How many people are trying to make 900? Trying to make 600-650, i'll try to make do with what i have.
Okay I rounded up....but shipping can't be cheap!

https://www.manciniracing.com/engineblocks.html

I bought three new Hemi blocks back when they were in the $3k-$3500 range. Which is comparable to $5k today. I think the price is worth it to get new castings that are beefier than the originals. I went through this with heads too, wasted money on used A990 and 70's D heads, finally got smart after wasting money fixing that old junk, sold it all and bought new Stage V heads. Well worth it.

Problem is trying to recoup the R&D, sand mold costs, etc. It's not Mopar making the blocks with a big bank account.

I know for a fact another competitor is working on BB wedge and Hemi blocks. I can’t say who it is, but my source is 100% reliable. Because of the steel shortage right now, as I understand it the timeline has been moved back a bit. I know there are wedge blocks cast and in process.

I hope it works out. We need more vendors to help keep pricing in check.

Auto Transport Service
Back