• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jersey school bus crash

Car Nut

Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/1...ey-interstate-multiple-injuries-reported.html

26677739.jpg
26677693.jpg

That really sucks...

my deepest heartfelt sympathies goes out for all the victims

Lousy reporting on this. Repititious rhetoric but no detail as to what happened.

How the hell does a accident rip the body of a bus off it's chassis? I'm surprised more people aren't dead, man that's nasty.

That's a lawsuit. The bus body shouldn't be coming off the chassis, period

has anybody ver noticed that school bus drivers in there area are usually way to old to drive
like most of them I see look like there in there late 70's
and they drive way to fast. if you look at a greyhound bus they have extra wheels in the back , school bus no
not ment to be going so fast on highways

I cant speak for Canada but as far as i know bus drivers have to pass physicals, and drug testing, all regulated by the D.O.T. We dont know the facts as of yet and its meaningless to speculate. Myself I've never seen school buses with children aboard speeding on the highway.
The body ripping off the truck chassis also concerned me and i wonder if it didn't would there have been less injuries. This will be very throughly investigated I'm sure.
This is a terrible tragedy, some of the surviving children are in critical condition. My prayers and thoughts are with the family

It's not hard to pass a cdl test and get the endorsement for doing the transport of people. I was a bus mechanic for awhile and I've seen some drivers wreck the bus in the compound . You wouldn't believe how often they smash there mirrors off or stop signs or lights ! They can't drive ! I will never let my kids ride on a bus .... some are OK (younger) but the ones that probably shouldn't be driving on the road in there Prius deff shouldn't drive a school bus!

It's a sad day for the families and the driver of the truck. There is a lot involved when someone is killed in such away. D.o.t will be all over records time on duty etc. The sad thing is life was lost and you can't bring them back.of course d.o.t will also look at road concoctions weather even time of day. Most school bus drivers are part time because they work 4 hours in the morning to get the kids to school and then 4 hrs in the afternoon to get them home.for the most part most school buses can't go over 55 mph plus the tires are rated at a speed if they go into the ecm and collect the data before the wreck they will see if the following happened speeding, hard braking long the bus had traveled as long as all the ports have been opened on the ecm. D.o.t will be looking into logs could be paper or electronic. Prays to all involved

According to a New York radio station they said that the bus driver missed their exit and tried turning around in one of the median cross overs meant for emergency vehicles only. If that's true that driver has no business driving a bus and should be charged with at least manslaughter. If you miss an exit you go to the next one to turn around. It should be that simple but maybe it's the idea that people don't seem to want to be inconvenienced and loose a few minutes of time.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/18/school-bus-crash-paramus-students/

It very sad that someone's bad judgement cost two people their lives and countless others a lot pain and suffering. My condolences to the family's involved.

This is just my opinion and only that but after 19 years of working alongside accident reconstruction teams, from what I can see in the pictures posted, it looks to me like the bus driver will be at fault for this accident. I also know that the dump trucks drive way to fast up and down 80, 78, 287.

The State Police are studying and taking pictures of the on ramp from 206 south to 80 west. That would not be happening if both vehicles were traviling the main line only, someone came up that ramp and tried to make the cutout.
20180518_090612.jpg

If that is true bus driver will be charged

Only a moron would make a u-turn with a school bus in a non designated area. Dump truck safety record doesn't mean ****. Only one person responsible. Throw away the key. We have all seen idiots backing to an exit they missed on a freeway. Cops are busy writing 7 over and often don't see this.

Only a moron would make a u-turn with a school bus in a non designated area. Dump truck safety record doesn't mean ****. Only one person responsible. Throw away the key. We have all seen idiots backing to an exit they missed on a freeway. Cops are busy writing 7 over and often don't see this.
I agree with much of what you are saying with the exception of dump trucks safety record. The truck was loaded, investigators will determine if it was overweight, and traveling over the speed limit. That trucking company is still far from off the hook. The bus driver should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. What kind of idiot pulls a stunt like that with a 40 foot bus full of kids?

I agree with much of what you are saying with the exception of dump trucks safety record. The truck was loaded, investigators will determine if it was overweight, and traveling over the speed limit. That trucking company is still far from off the hook. The bus driver should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. What kind of idiot pulls a stunt like that with a 40 foot bus full of kids?
I agree with you on this Steve. Even if the bus driver is found in the wrong, that trucking company has a long history and if anything is just a bit off with the truck.

I was in Pa. getting loaded when this happened. I got an alert on my phone through a trucker app. Shut the Interstate down completely for 2 1/2 hours. Luckily I was headed west on I-80. School buses should NOT be allowed on the Interstate...PERIOD. On Wednesday I was travelling up I-81 in Va. and suddenly 3 lanes of Interstate came to a complete stop. Why? Two school buses, driven by over 60, senile drivers were traveling in the middle lane, flashers on, at 45 MPH. Totally oblivious to the fact that they were causing MAYHEM!! Sorry Steve, DOT physicals are easy to obtain with $100.00, most school bus drivers should NOT be on the road. I average 3000 miles a week, and I truly believe that school buses are a menace on the Interstate.

I agree with you on this Steve. Even if the bus driver is found in the wrong, that trucking company has a long history and if anything is just a bit off with the truck.
Pull out in front of a truck with good brakes and a perfect record. Still gonna get hit.

Auto Transport Service
Back