• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New mechanic, he love cars.

coronet68mx

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
He is my nephew, his name is Luis Manuel he is three years old, love this kid, he always listen to me, do what I said, pay attention to what I do, he like to ask me questions about tools and cars, here he is helping me to fix a cylinder head last week, he is a little parrot, funny thing, he is very shy to other people including my wife, I ask him to clean the tools for me, as you can see he do it diligently.
IMG_20210903_120006.jpg

When I see enthusiasm from a kid, my first inclination is to encourage him or her as MUCH as possible.
Aushwitz (2).jpg

You are right Greg, and this is what am trying to do with him, his dad, well he does not like tools or fix anything, or how to use tools, well you get the idea, but this kid really like it
Uncle Leon what is this...
What is it for ...
Can I use it...
Can I help you
Can I tightened it
Natural born mechanic.

When I have met new Apprentices on the job that seem to have some enthusiasm and drive, I want to help them. If I have a spare tool that they don't have, I'll offer to let them borrow it until they can afford to buy one. I have spare tape measures, squares, saws, all sorts of stuff. When I came up through the ranks, it was a LOT different. There was a bit of a snobbery from the Journey level guys toward the guys that were just starting out. It was sort of like how College Frat guys would screw with the new guys.

Best thing is to let interested kids handle the tools.
That's where it all begins.
I see too many guys telling their kids, "put that down, you may get hurt".
I say "put the phone down", then show them the correct way to handle the tools.

Totally agree, am that was just a small part of the tools I have, the steel box I carry on my van, am afraid what's gonna happend to my big rack of tools when he grow up:lol:

My buddy's grandson tagged along with him last week. I had a 67 GTX with a bad tank grommet. We jacked the car up, placed the jack stands and were working on getting the filler neck and hoses loose and he was right under the car too. That afternoon when the kid got home his mother got this picture.
653163429.jpg
His mother asked him what he was doing. He told her "trouble with gas tank ".

You’re a lucky guy that you caught his attention and you hold it! Cherish and nurture it, he will fill our shoes in time.

All great stuff!!! My daughter was the same way till about 15.....then she became a woman (so she thought) and I lost her attention. She is 18 now...about a month ago she didn't like the sound her keyboard made, she desoldered every key and replaced all of then new solder and all....turns out she did learn something from those days!

Auto Transport Service
Back