• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member. Is it Worth Saving? 1971 Charger R/T

WS23RT

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I'm wondering what the general consensus is on saving this 1971 Charger R/T. It has its born with U code 440 and 727. It's a B7 blue car with a white vinyl top (used to) and white interior.

It's also a factory A/C and hideaway headlights.

The roof is very bad and the floors are too. The frame rails look solid but I know that can go south. All of the R/T specific parts are there. The doors are amazing and the hood isn't rotted out. The rockers look good and so does the whole front clip.

I can do metal fab and body work fine and the project doesn't scare me. My question is how much is too much when it comes to metal work and replacement of sheetmetal?
20191019_174033.jpg
20191017_160950.jpg
20191019_172051.jpg
20191019_172003.jpg
20191019_174117.jpg

complete donor roof is half the battle....better yet, a complete roof/rear clip..... those rear rails are questionable imo...... ....... I like the car

Last edited:
That roof is scary. I would expect that if the roof skin is that bad, the inner structure is just as bad.

Wow pretty bad rust. Think deeply about it. Some cars have been left to be used for parts. Welcome to FBBO from SoCal

There is alot more work there than meets the eye. But if you can do it, keep it all aligned, etc, then do it. Save it! You'll have plenty of support here.

welcome to FBBO save it i like it will be a nice car when its done

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. It's not going anywhere for the time being. I have found a roof complete with the inner structure. It will definitely be a time consuming project.

Welcome to the Madness!

Well the good thing is you're young enough to be able to enjoy it when its done.

Good luck and start a "build thread" to keep us posted.

Welcome from Michigan. I think this can be saved. Especially being a 71 R/T. Got some major cutting and welding to do. I agree with the above as far as the inner structure goes. Make sure you are satisfied that the structure pieces are good. Good luck and create:thumbsup: a build thread if you save it.

Welcome from West Virginia. A lot of work to be sure but since you can do your own work, I would go for it! Keep us posted

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

almost anything, can be fixed if you have the skills & tools
& throw enough $$$ at it :poke:
now whether it's worth it ?
that's for the individual to figure out themselves

it looks like most all that car needs replacing (rust-oration)

good luck with your decision, have fun

Buy the one on Ebay and use it for a daily driver then find another lesser Charger to restore the RT. I mean how many 440 RT Chargers were built!?

Auto Transport Service
Back