• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I just got my first classic Mopar, a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440. It happens to have a 440 (not original) with a 727/355. I bought the car online with not a lot of information to go with it, the door keys didn't even work. Bought a new key kit (ignition, trunk, doors) off eBay for $60 and solved that problem. Anyone swap the trunk lock out on a Coronet? I had to get my kids to help... not easy. My parking brake pedal is on the floor currently and will not release, I'm not quite sure how to tell if it's simply engaged/locked in place or not hooked up. I don't even have plates for it yet so it's not a huge deal. It did roll forward in my driveway when I placed it in neutral. It does drive/reverse but does require some gas. I do have a highly rated shop in the area that specializes in classics and that will be my first stop to give it a safety inspection. I want to make sure there is nothing glaring that could result in costly repairs. Other than "Get ready to get your hands dirty", any advice? What oil should I use? What gas would work best? Should I start low with regular or start with premium? It's a 440 with I'm told a 484 camshaft. I do not know the compression ratio. Thanks for reading and taking us first timers under your wings.

Welcome from CT. :xscuseless::thumbsup:
Pull e brake release and try pulling e brake pedal back at the same time. Return spring could be broken.

Welcome from North Florida.
Well if it rolled in neutral the emergency brake is probably not hooked up or the brakes are way out of adjustment or worn bad.
The car may also have a stall converter in it if you had to give it gas to move in drive / reverse.
We are going to need to see some pictures.
:xscuseless:

Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! These old cars require work, what's your ability to do this work yourself? If not, shop time is expensive so brace yourself. I'd recommend a factory service manual and some time to learn how to fix it yourself. Take on one project at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. 440'

Welcome from CT. :xscuseless::thumbsup:
Pull e brake release and try pulling e brake pedal back at the same time. Return spring could be broken.

Thank you for the advice. Sorry, I'm at work and I didn't have pictures but I found some online, yes, this is my actual car...

EDIT: Just noticed in the picture of the interior that the parking brake pedal is where it's supposed to be, maybe it is the spring.

front.jpg side.jpg engine.jpg interior.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Michigan the Motor City! These old cars require work, what's your ability to do this work yourself? If not, shop time is expensive so brace yourself. I'd recommend a factory service manual and some time to learn how to fix it yourself. Take on one project at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. 440'

I am pretty good at fixing things, I just have very little experience working on engines. I can replace parts but things like cracking the motor open, I will probably leave to the professionals (if I need that done). The car sounds great, starts easily so I think it's going to be other little things like the rust in the trunk that will have to be addressed. I do plan on getting my hands dirty, that's not an issue. I plan on buying a shop manual. Thanks. I've actually done the Woodward Dream Cruise (when I had my 15 Challenger R/T, quite an experience.

Is that the car that's been for sale for decades in Tennessee?

I always liked that car but wondered why the above was so.

Parking brakes don't work in reverse, so if it was roiling backwards, check forwards.

Also if it was stuck on, how did it get off the transport?

I've got a 69 440 that runs fine on 89 mid grade or non-eth.

Is that the car that's been for sale for decades in Tennessee?

I always liked that car but wondered why the above was so.

Parking brakes don't work in reverse, so if it was roiling backwards, check forwards.

Also if it was stuck on, how did it get off the transport?

I've got a 69 440 that runs fine on 89 mid grade or non-eth.

I bought this car from Branson, Missouri. I have no idea how long it has been for sale. For me, the car was right, price, engine, interior. I wanted a driver, something I wouldn't have to worry about too much and it was a good price. I have been looking for a few months now so I had an idea of what I was getting into. I've been "looking" unofficially for about a decade waiting to buy my first classic. Overall, I couldn't be happier. The 440 is going to provide me with a huge Smile Per Hour ratio. The car did roll forward when I put it in neutral, I was not at home when the vehicle was delivered so I don't know how it came off the truck.

Then my guess is not hooked up or rear brakes not adjusted properly.

Welcome from NY.
I would suggest changing out the master cylinder from the single to a dual reservior style (67 & up).
Along with getting the parking brake functional.
If the brake hoses are original they should be replaced as well. (56 year old rubber is not a good thing)
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Auto Transport Service
Back