• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mopar Hemi Crate Kits

JKByrnes

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of the new Mopar crate Hemi kits? I saw the builds on GYC, and I am leaning towards resto modding whatever car I get with the new Hellephant (crate gen III all aluminum s/c'd Hemi). Just curious what issues anyone may have run into. As I get closer to purchase date, starting to think through all the details (suspension f/r, wheels/tires, brakes, frame strengthening, trans tunnel mods, etc.), that will be required. The base car will almost certainly be a 71-72 Plymouth B-Body

Has Dodge even released the price yet? I know a few guys have done Hellcrate conversions but I don’t think that Hellephant is out yet. I’ve run that kind of power in a 70 b-body with subframe connectors and a 6 point roll bar. I think I’d look at the US Car tool chassis stiffening kit and some solid K-member mounts and then work on the suspension, brakes and driveline.

Has Dodge even released the price yet? I know a few guys have done Hellcrate conversions but I don’t think that Hellephant is out yet. I’ve run that kind of power in a 70 b-body with subframe connectors and a 6 point roll bar. I think I’d look at the US Car tool chassis stiffening kit and some solid K-member mounts and then work on the suspension, brakes and driveline.

Thanks Hemirunner, I appreciate the tips. They have parts numbers for the entire package, but no price listed yet on the motor. That's OK, this is still probably a year away, first I need to get a good car. My Shelby is running the same hp lvl, and like you did with your B body, I have a 6 pt and sub-frame connectors, tubular K. Nothing like dropping the hammer on a 1K HP motor! Plan currently is either a Gerst or RMS front and rear coilover set up, upgraded axles and posi, 4 wheel disc, tremec 6 spd, and the Hellephant (figuring $30K + for the engine and harness kit, but roughly the same as a FHO aluminum injected 572). Really looking for a monster cruiser, and a fun run down the 1320 a couple times a year.

I am in the process of installing a 6.4 crate now. There are numerous things you have to modify (add headers, oil pan, oul pickup, dipstick, oil filer mount, grind block for starter clearance, probably different flywheel/clutch depending on your trans, etc). The good news is they are all BGE blocks now. The bad news is that they just recently went up in price.
Also, I found multiple wiring connections broken on mine (assuming the testers just ripped the testing harness off when complete) but
they were all replaced under warranty. I purchased mine with the mopar wiring kit (to gain a 3 year warranty) but Hotwire makes a nice wiring harness as well.

I am in the process of installing a 6.4 crate now. There are numerous things you have to modify (add headers, oil pan, oul pickup, dipstick, oil filer mount, grind block for starter clearance, probably different flywheel/clutch depending on your trans, etc). The good news is they are all BGE blocks now. The bad news is that they just recently went up in price.
Also, I found multiple wiring connections broken on mine (assuming the testers just ripped the testing harness off when complete) but
they were all replaced under warranty. I purchased mine with the mopar wiring kit (to gain a 3 year warranty) but Hotwire makes a nice wiring harness as well.
Thanks for the heads up! I am trying to get as much info as possible before hand, to limit the amount of pitfalls once I pull the trigger. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the conversion.

Thanks Hemirunner, I appreciate the tips. They have parts numbers for the entire package, but no price listed yet on the motor. That's OK, this is still probably a year away, first I need to get a good car. My Shelby is running the same hp lvl, and like you did with your B body, I have a 6 pt and sub-frame connectors, tubular K. Nothing like dropping the hammer on a 1K HP motor! Plan currently is either a Gerst or RMS front and rear coilover set up, upgraded axles and posi, 4 wheel disc, tremec 6 spd, and the Hellephant (figuring $30K + for the engine and harness kit, but roughly the same as a FHO aluminum injected 572). Really looking for a monster cruiser, and a fun run down the 1320 a couple times a year.
I have the RMS and four wheel discs but running CalTracs and mono leafs on the rear. My Hellcat is a tremec which is fun but I think that Hellephant will test its limits.

If I had Hellephant money I would probably go with a Shwartz custom chassis with IRS and all the other modern goodies. You could stiffen the factory unibody but by the time you are done you will probably be in it for as much as a bolt in frame will cost you.

I have the RMS and four wheel discs but running CalTracs and mono leafs on the rear. My Hellcat is a tremec which is fun but I think that Hellephant will test its limits.
Yeah, I am worried about that. For my 1k ride, I went with a RPM stage 7 kit, and it has held up well, but I don't do 4K clutch dumps very often. Any feedback on Silversport transmissions? They make a modified Magnum XL that leaves the shifter in the stock spot.

If I had Hellephant money I would probably go with a Shwartz custom chassis with IRS and all the other modern goodies. You could stiffen the factory unibody but by the time you are done you will probably be in it for as much as a bolt in frame will cost you.
I have thought about it. Haven't contacted them yet, but at least per their website, they do not offer 71-72 B bodies, just E bodies.

Yeah, I am worried about that. For my 1k ride, I went with a RPM stage 7 kit, and it has held up well, but I don't do 4K clutch dumps very often. Any feedback on Silversport transmissions? They make a modified Magnum XL that leaves the shifter in the stock spot.
I don’t have any experience with the Silversport products. I have a built 727 behind my hemi. It’s probably gonna be tested this time around.
BC0E028E-CC14-470F-AAED-5286EC6B1604.jpeg

Yeah the twins are gonna give the old girl a run for her money.

I went with the SST Perfectfit kit.
Neither the crossmember or isolater fit and required modification. The templates for cutting the tunnel that come with the kit are useless.
I modified my trans tunnel until the trans fit but in hindsight I should have just cut out the entire tunnel and replaced it with a fabbed one piece tunnel.

Their support is excellent and the hydraulics and mechanical pieces are a good fit. Their pilot bearing is unique to this kit.

My car originally came with an auto and they do offer the shifter to come up in stock location (with 4 speed console)

It might be worth your time to review the new Tremec kit offered from Mopar. They were not available when I ordered my trans kit.

My car is a 69 Charger.

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I really do appreciate everyone's feedback and experience. In my previous project, I found that having a plan and sticking to it, well at least most if it, saved me time, money and grief as opposed to chasing products that did not fit, weren't proven, or were flat out wrong.

I work for a Jeep/Dodge dealership and have been following the Hellephant engine progress (my own curiosity), as of right now, i have an ETA of the Hellephants being release around end of April/May. Then again, anyone that has worked for Chrysler corp know that ETA's can sometime mean absolutely nothing.

As for the normal hemi kits (everything from the 6.2 and down) the multi kit part numbers work well, (engine, harness kit, A/C kit, P/s Kit) kind of nice that they did divide out the kits for those who want to pick and choose ala carte'.

Auto Transport Service
Back