• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New OEM spec strut rods -- anyone manufacture?

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
I normally spend days trying to find parts without posting here, but I can not seem to find new stock strut rods for my 70 RR. My all around brake job spiraled into front end as well and the only thing that I have not replaced are the strut rods themselves. I've purchased all stock parts and the car will be a cruiser so I'm not too concerned with cornering.
My strut rods are not bent, but they are from a car that lived in the salt belt and the years of gook and grime show -- I've replaced everything else with stock parts so I figured I'd replace them as well (or just paint them with new bushings).
Help or thoughts on just getting the adjustable kind instead are welcomed!

If you have access to a lath have some made up. I have a good friend in Mo that has a bone yard if you need. You’ll have to pm me to get his info.

So I decided to look in eBay sold sales vs current listings. A few of them sold for 50-100 in worse shape than mine. I guess I'll clean them up and paint. :)

I think you are over thinking it, if they are not bent or damaged I'd just clean and paint them.

I know what it is like to want to replace everything with new parts but somethings (such as this) just need to be reused.

I know what it is like to want to replace everything with new parts but somethings (such as this) just need to be reused.
I think it's just the frustration of separating the upper and lower ball joints from the spindle to get all new/NOS parts. The upper ball joint came out with the loudest pop and broke my separator tool after a long fight. The lower ball joint is just stuck in there and it's going to get some heat and cutting soon. When you are staring at everything pulled, if only the sway bar and strut rods are left, you think so why not while I'm at it. :) Thanks again!
241.JPG

Not sure what is going on there but first of you probably shouldn't be using a separator on the ball joints, you just need to "smack" them with a HD hammer on the side. If you look at the BJ there should be a flat side you can hit. Mopars usually don't like the BJ forks. I've taken a lot apart over the years and found that the forks don't usually work all that well.

This is what I am talking about

Not sure what is going on there but first of you probably shouldn't be using a separator on the ball joints, you just need to "smack" them with a HD hammer on the side. If you look at the BJ there should be a flat side you can hit. Mopars usually don't like the BJ forks. I've taken a lot apart over the years and found that the forks don't usually work all that well.

This is what I am talking about

Yeah I know. I tried a fork and then used hammer, etc. Got frustrated and tried other puller. Never had one this bad.

Check with Layson's They had some real nice ones,look stock and were aluminum or stainless steel.
Paint 'um and you would never know.

Check with Layson's They had some real nice ones,look stock and were aluminum or stainless steel.
Paint 'um and you would never know.
They had steel as well. Ordered! Thanks!!!

Just Suspension was selling "30% oversized" non-adjustable ones, but that was more than a few years ago. Don't know if they still carry them or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back