• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New oil pump - pack with Vaseline?

Charger21

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
I am putting on a new oil pump. I am hearing that I should pack it with Vaseline to aid in priming. I am planning on spinning the pump with a drill like I did in the past when I lost prime after letting my oil drain overnight.

Any thoughts on if the Vaseline is a good or bad idea on a bb mopar? It is just a base 400 block.

Thanks!

I used some lube when I put the engine together. Really, ya just need to put some oil in it so it’s not spinning dry till it picks up the oil in the pan.

I watched some dude do it on youtube but it was an engine that was just built. He said the vasoline would just dissolve in the oil.

Personally just used some oil to coat everything. Pre-lube spinning always picked up pressure in under 15secs.

Disassemble the pump and make sure it is clean and the bypass works freely. Reassemble with quality motor oil or assembly lube. I'd use Vaseline to make a grilled cheese sandwich before I packed my oil pump with it.

Disassemble the pump and make sure it is clean and the bypass works freely. Reassemble with quality motor oil or assembly lube. I'd use Vaseline to make a grilled cheese sandwich before I packed my oil pump with it.
Are you my Dad? My dad made scrambled eggs with it back in the 70's even then us kids were like WTF?

I didn't use Vaseline and mine pumped up fine.
i used astro glide and it slid right on in!
astro.jpg

Have used Vaseline in pumps for almost 40 yrs ( Lubriplate sometimes also). Try building a 231 Buick ( or a V8 ) without it !!!! Lol.

Beeewwwhogs are a different breed,lol.

You can use margarine or unsalted butter too, as they are in the same food group as Vaseline.

no white grease- ever it is not very soluble in engine oil
you can spin prime a mopar so just a little eo or assembly lube
STP would work- just a little to coat the rotors and provide e a seal at the tips
you could use a smear of vasaline- butt pack- no

Auto Transport Service
Back