• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New project with my Dad....

icecat66

Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
1973 charger project.
Question for ya guys the K member is damaged and can't be saved what year k members will work and difference between big and small block. The car has a running 318 and I have a 68' 383 to put in one day maybe undecided yet... also drivers side frame rail damaged what years will fit to replace that.... not looking for factory resto here looking for drivable ok car....

Thanks
Joe

- - - Updated - - -

20140630_102516.jpg

A K-member after the year 66 I think.

I am almost sure a 69-70-71 K-member will work.

the issue is, early K-members (63-65) in a newer B-body will place the engine back too far.

Hang on, someone will verify this with more specifics soon.

PS: What happened to the K-member?
It must have been catastrophic!

(Nice car)

Really don't know a lot about your situation but good luck and nice ride.

those cars had the big frame isolators on the k-member and the early 69-70ish won't work, it's a whole different breed.

73 & 74 wil work. I believe small or big block will work for both. I had a sb car and a bb car and both k's were the exact same. I am 40 and have been working on 71 thru 73 chargers since I was 17 so I know a little about them.

73 and up k member is what you need however they are different for SB and BB. If you go with a SB k member and try to use a big block on it you will need some Schumacher conversion mounts to make everything line up correctly. I have a 74 RR and it had a SB k-member in it and I have a 383 installed. Engine sat too far forward and clutch linkage did not line up correctly. With conversion mounts in there it sets the engine back in proper position. Hope this helps you.

Here is the link for mounts:

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/Show Pricing/73UP-Show.html#head1

73/74 K members are the same for BB and SB. I don't know where this info about them being different comes from but they aren't and you don't need the Schumacher kit, just regular mounts.

73/74 K members are the same for BB and SB. I don't know where this info about them being different comes from but they aren't and you don't need the Schumacher kit, just regular mounts.

Really?

When I had a '74 and my Brother had a '73 that he wanted to put a BB in, I seem to remember (been 20+ years) they were different.

We snagged a BB k-frame from a Cordoba that had 400 in it.

I haven't dealt with a '73-up since, so maybe I was wrong.

I remember the mounts were the 'spool' type.

That's a good looking ride, I do hope you don't have to buy the rail new, It cost me over 500 bucks for a rear rail with shipping! I get a bit quizzy when i think of it.. :sign18:

Hoping I can find a parts frame or if someone can tell me what frames will work... like I said a working car not a show car haha.... thanks for all the help to this point talked to dad going to get the 318 running and stay with a SB k-member for now.... 383 is on hold sitting on the stand haha

Really?

When I had a '74 and my Brother had a '73 that he wanted to put a BB in, I seem to remember (been 20+ years) they were different.

We snagged a BB k-frame from a Cordoba that had 400 in it.

I haven't dealt with a '73-up since, so maybe I was wrong.

I remember the mounts were the 'spool' type.

I've swapped 318s for 440s in 73's and 74's and never had to change a K member.

- - - Updated - - -

A frame rail is just a piece of steel. If you're not worried about originality, I would get the measurements of the size piece you need and find a length of frame rail off whatever car matches the specs in a junk yard and have it welded in. There's no point in paying top dollar for a genuine Mopar section of frame when a cheaper section off some Brand X ride will do.

good luck and you and your pops have fun , we need to see the photos of the frame and k- member damage to help you out as to the repairs or replacement ideas :thinker:

Great looking ride. Do you have a picture of the K frame? It doesn't look like the wheels are pulled in and it may not be as bad as you think.
Enjoy the time you spend with your Dad! One day all too soon it will only be a memory. Make the most of it while you can!
Good Luck,
Bill

73 - 79 B body K members will interchange. you can put a BB in a SB k member, and yes they are slightly different. the BB will sit approx 1" back in the SB K member. I have confirmed this with a BB car and SB car side by side. you can either buy the conversion mounts or you can make it fit using BB engine and a little creativity by mounting the trans up first and then mounting the drivers side in front of the bosses.

Attachments

• rb101.jpg
    rb101.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 671
wow man, that is ugly. you might have a whole nuther' can of worms trying to get the K frame bolts out. you will have to try to get some lube inside the frame on top of the bolts, or they are just going to snap the welded nuts and just spin, then you will have to cut them off. you might want to just cut them off anyway , drop the k member , and then work the bolts out. the top pic looks like the frame rail is about gone. it can all be fixed , don't be discouraged

I just swapped my 74 Satellite from a 318 to to a 383 today the Schumacher motor mounts is the way to go! Not sure on the Charger but my Satellite has a small block K frame

Haha just couldn't go without having a muscle car xD I'm glad you decided to sell your last project or i might still be looking for a car.

Well found a donor car so that's the new she'll and the green one is now the parts car... the new one is a 73 Brougham 400 car. The primor car is a solid base way better then the green car will be posting extra parts in the for sale in the near future.. have a front drivers frame rail available now
20140720_123557.jpg
20140720_123522.jpg
20140720_123624.jpg
20140720_123616.jpg
20140720_123607.jpg
20140720_123531.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back