• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New PST Manual PS Box Issue

71Charger

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
Finally got my manual 16:1 steering box from PST a few weeks ago and swapped out my 24:1 but something doesn’t seem right. There is only one way to install the steering column but seems to be off. I get about 3.75 rotation lock to lock but when I’m at 1.85 which should be center my steering wheel is not centered or pointed in the middle.

just realized the subject is wrong it should not say PS! It is a manual box replacing another manual box.

Also steering column is stock and wasn’t a problem when the old box was installed.

When I replaced a stock 24:1 box with a PST 16:1, it was off as well. A little less than a 1/4 turn if I remember correctly. Needs to be centered by adjusting the tie rod ends at an alignment shop.

Not sure if I explained this properly. With only the steering column connected to the gear box the steering wheel isn’t centered when I do the math by dividing the number of turns lock to lock by 2 which is abt 1.85 turns the steering wheel doesn’t point straight. There is only one way to connect the column as the splines are keyed.
I called their support group and someone is supposed to call me Monday.

Depending on the vehicle you are working on, if your alignment was right to start with, you could get it all assembled and then pull steering wheel and clock it properly and re-install it.

Not sure if I explained this properly. With only the steering column connected to the gear box the steering wheel isn’t centered when I do the math by dividing the number of turns lock to lock by 2 which is abt 1.85 turns the steering wheel doesn’t point straight. There is only one way to connect the column as the splines are keyed.
I called their support group and someone is supposed to call me Monday.
Yes, you explained it correctly. The PST boxes are not oriented the exact same as factory units. Your steering wheel will get centered by adjusting the tie rod ends.

You might want to correspond with PST about this question. The recirculating boxes I’m familiar with have variable lash as the go over center in either direction - usually (but not always) at center as determined from turns stop to stop. You want that box sitting on the high spot with steering dead straight ahead so you have tight steering and minimal play/slop going straight down the road. If the box is set up off center with the wheels pointing straight, it may wander all over the place.

Pretty sure I resolved the issue by removing steering column, centering gear box and then reattaching column. Center now has wheel pointing straight.

Is there a tool that will crimp back on the cover for the coupling body?

While reinstalling the steering column the cover came off. I’ve tried a large set of channel locks but can’t seem to get it in place.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I couldn’t seem to get my used cover to crimp back on. Used a new one . Did going to a 16:1 box increase steering effort over the 24:1?

I couldn’t seem to get my used cover to crimp back on. Used a new one . Did going to a 16:1 box increase steering effort over the 24:1?
Have not got that far. Still putting car back together. Replaced headers while upgrading steering box.
Unfortunately I’m going on vacation for 3 weeks and won’t be able to get back to it until then.

I solved the cover issue by using one of these steering coupler retainers - about $15 on E-bay.

clip.jpg
clip 2.jpg

Those bails work well although I found out it’s a good idea to test fit it off the car first if you can, in case the legs need a little adjustment to snap on without gorilla effort.

Yeah, the stock seal covers are a pita and have only been able to get one to stay on. Trick is to not move the tabs much when taking them off.....and then it's a crab shoot.

I am sorry that I missed this post. I had been away on vacation. If you have any issues please PM directly or call our customer service at 800-247-2288 ext 307.

Thanks
James From
PST

Well, got back from vacation last week and got the car back together. Took it for a drive and seems to be less effort while the car is moving but much more effort when it isn’t.

I will need to have the car re-aligned in order to say whether this was worth doing.

I did install the clamp that was recommended. I was able to crimp the tabs after installing the clamp and will see if it stays in place after I remove the clamp.

First. Don’t remove the wire bail , factory came out with this so mechanics at the time could correct your same issue ! And about your replacement steering box , it is very difficult to steer at slow speeds with this 16 to 1 box and no way around it , all though the box is a really nice unit , but a pain in the parking lot to turn , on the move not to bad , is it worth it , you will decide for yourself! Just my opinion of course!

No crap , hope your young guy especially if you park in tight spots !

60 years young! And working out my biceps when I’m not driving it preparation.

Auto Transport Service
Back