• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New/Reproduction Oil Dipstick Tube Installation Tips

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Okay I've seen posts about this in the past & today I got to deal with it... The new reproduction oil dipstick tube is considerably larger O/D than the original... But Original unbroken dipstick tubes are getting hard to find soooo....

First I taper the end that goes into the block, a belt sander is mighty handy for that step...

IMG_5584.jpg
IMG_5585.jpg

Next I use the clamp from a tube flaring tool to slightly squeeze the diameter of the tube...

IMG_5586.jpg

This is the diameter of the tube where I didn't squeeze it..
IMG_5588.jpg

And here it is after squeezing, .011 smaller...
IMG_5589.jpg

But still a tight fit, I use a 3/8" wrench & a hammer to tap the tube into the block...

IMG_5587.jpg

Hopefully it helps someone....

This tool is used for installing GM oil pump pickups, and I think it would be a better way to install the dipstick tube. The installing force is applied in the same plane as the tube, as opposed to perpendicular to it. Note to self, make one...

a5787116-01e6-4c98-bba5-39abcfa6fea3.jpg

This tool is used for installing GM oil pump pickups, and I think it would be a better way to install the dipstick tube. The installing force is applied in the same plane as the tube, as opposed to perpendicular to it. Note to self, make one...

View attachment 1047383

I've used a 3/8" wrench for 40 years, if you have access, tapping on the wrench directly works fine... If not have one person on the bottom holding the wrench & guiding the end of a long punch so the second person can tap on the punch with a hammer from above... I've installed hundreds of tubes through the years...

I've used a 3/8" wrench for 40 years, if you have access, tapping on the wrench directly works fine... If not have one person on the bottom holding the wrench & guiding the end of a long punch so the second person can tap on the punch with a hammer from above... I've installed hundreds of tubes through the years...
Didn't say it wouldn't work (done it myself), just thinking of a better way to do it.

Reproduction replacement parts strike again. They will fit inside the trunk, or your truck bed, perfectly. Anywhere else, like the intended use, require some fitment.

Didn't say it wouldn't work (done it myself), just thinking of a better way to do it.

Yup, it probably is better, heck, weld a rod to the head of a 3/8" wrench & your done...

I use a 3/8 horseshoe and a 24" extension. I also, by hand, push a drill bit in and out of the hole to remove sealant and carbon and the tube has always gone in for me first try.

I use a 3/8 horseshoe and a 24" extension. I also, by hand, push a drill bit in and out of the hole to remove sealant and carbon and the tube has always gone in for me first try.

Have you tried that with these new reproduction tubes?

I now make my own. 2 different tubing sizes and a tab. Nice solid tab. Because the tab holds it down and in place. I mess with my cars a lot so I need a dipstick that can easily be removed and reused. I tried a standard dipstick and it basically trapped the header. When I went to remove the tube it broke at the flange. Arrgh! Ended up pulling the pan. You know, the kind with a tube for the steering linkage. A real pain. Who knew a dipstick could turn into such a project? I should have that's who. Talking to myself....again......

I put a chrome dipstick tube in my 440 engine. It would start in but not go all the way to the ridge-stop. I worked on that thing for hours , just wouldn't go in that last 1/4". I finally figured it out. The end of the tube was hitting on the edge of the aftermarket oil pan. Ground off a little of the tube edge---fixed the problem............MO

I put a chrome dipstick tube in my 440 engine. It would start in but not go all the way to the ridge-stop. I worked on that thing for hours , just wouldn't go in that last 1/4". I finally figured it out. The end of the tube was hitting on the edge of the aftermarket oil pan. Ground off a little of the tube edge---fixed the problem............MO
That's one reason I pulled the pan. Chrome tube. Driven in. Could not stand the idea of little chrome flakes floating around in the oil

Don't really understand the thought of a chrome dipstick tube. Lot of work for something you can't really see. It should come with other accessories like a chrome drain plug and a chrome crank bolt.

I welded a 3/8" nut to a piece of 1/2" rebar, drilled the threads out of the nut, and cut a slot through the side of the nut. Now I can heat and bend the rebar to suit the engine I'm working on.
Mike

I just drill the hole larger. A little RTV seals perfect. Tube can be removed or installed easily durning mock up. Bend and fit as necessary.
Doug

View attachment 1047383
I have put in a hundred with a wrench and hammer just like the previous poster and it works just fine. Your tool does exactly the same thing just from several inches away.

Last one I needed I got the cheap chrome
Mr. Gasket tube, from summit, scuffed and painted it.
Did use a wrench like wild does.
Got lucky , it fit, drove in nice and snug.

There’s some great tips here, I’ll be installing my dipstick tube this morning and it looks pretty straightforward. I had to reshape the tube to work with the headers. Time to dig through the pail of oddball wrenches and find one to make an installation tool…

image.jpg

I cut the side out of a 3/8" nut (to slip over the tube) and welded it to a piece of rerod from my stash, and bent to an appropriate shape.
Drive in with plastic hammer.
Mike

I ended up clamping my flaring tool just below the tab to drive it in. The knurling left a very slight mark on the tube but it worked like a charm…

image.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back