• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Roadrunner. Do I keep the Charger?

RockyPat

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a 1973 Roadrunner Lemon Twist 400 727 with white and black interior. It currently has a 67 383 in it that runs with a date correct non-numbers matching 727. It has a suregrip that is believed to be 3.23. It has some rust and needs some work, but overall a cool car.
E0BC687E-1617-415F-9CAF-6415ACA41251.jpeg

Now the question becomes do I keep my 1971 Charger green on green with a 318/auto?
37F5C0B7-592A-45BA-B77F-AA438C042FA0.jpeg
0733C582-CA89-4830-BE97-7AC3127C9725.jpeg
148B9CD7-B617-4DBE-BFFC-6DACA375264B.jpeg

It has a bent frame rail, and is quite rough with bondo in a lot of areas. Drum brakes and needs a lot of work. (It would stay a rat rod.) I am not in the car much money, and I have a lot of parts for it. Rally gauges, bucket seats, center console, etc.

I would also plan on dropping in the 67 383 into the Charger because it runs decently. I also have a 727 waiting for it. So I see that as a cheap drivetrain for the car.

I have a spare 440 block, but I am looking for a period correct 400 for my Roadrunner.

I planned to sell the Charger to pay for some Roadrunner upgrades, but I started to think I should keep the Charger. I’ve talked to people, and some say to keep it and others say to sell it.

My main issue is storage, but I think I can find a place for both cars.

I pose this dilemma to you all because a lot of you guys have more than one project.

I am looking for some honest and potentially critical advice.

Should I try to keep both cars? Should I sell the Charger? Is the Charger too much work and a money pit?

The idea of having 2 B-bodies is awesome to me! I’m a young man, and I would have plenty of time to work on them. Is this an impractical idea?

I am also thinking that selling the Charger now with some economic uncertainty in the country right now and before the value of these 3rd gen Chargers start to increase more might be a bad move.

If you have made it this far, I commend you.

Thank you All.

Here's my 2 cents, I have a 68 and a 70 Charger and added a 70 Super Bee recently. Non of my cars is perfect but they are all on the road and I like them all for different reasons. For now, I enjoy working on them and chasing parts, I like the hobby. If I ever need to sell I will but for now just gonna chip away at them and enjoy owning the cars I always wanted. Cheers and congrats on the Roadrunner.

When working on one you can enjoy the other.
:thumbsup:
Each car has a personality. I prefer the 71-72 cars without the isolated k member and no shock bumpers. But we have a 73 rr as well, not a lot of difference...but not many body parts are reproduced for the 73-74, but yours looks solid.

It really comes down to if you have a place to keep it and being ok w what happens to your 71 if you sell it.:(

Both of these cars are pretty cool. Other than the frame rail that 71 looks pretty workable. I might consider buying a frame rail for it now just in case it gets hard to find one later. I would keep both for sure. I think most of us have sold a car figuring we could just get another one later but then we find out the supply is drying up over time.

Last edited:
I've got 5 of them in various states of drivability but 2 are my primary drivers. If budget is limited working on both will slow both down. I often will buy a certain part or set of parts for one car one month then the other car next month. Cost for storing is also something to consider. That said, with you having the car already it costs you nothing to keep it (assuming storage) and you won't get much out of it to go crazy on the RR. So my vote is keep it.

I like having more than one hot rod as I can work on one and drive the other. Even when they are "done", maintenance and upgrades occur..... then your drive the other one.

Cars don't have to be money pits. You can have one nice car and a car that is just a rough driver to have fun with. Frankly, the rough driver cars area a lot more enjoyable. I have always had one or more driver-type cars that I never intended to restore and they have been the most memorable to me. No worries or cares - just drive and have fun.

A ratty 71 318 green charger is not going to increase significantly in value from this point, so I would not consider that in your decision.

I had a 73 RR 340 car...that was a fun car with that light 340, very nimble and could get up a boogie! But I do love the 71 Chargers as well, and I love green and earth tone cars more then high impact colours.

I'd fix the structural damage to the charger and patch up the rust best you can and keep it just a rough fun driver, even keep the 318/auto in it for now with just some simple upgrades, headers, 4 barrel manifold and carb, maybe a 340 cam, and set of decent gears...3.23 or 3.55's.

Then spend a little more on your RR, if you find a proper 73 400 for it then maybe consider swapping the 67 383 over to the charger, but fix the RR up as your "better" car, but don't go to crazy and go for the full restoration with show paint and if you can buff the current paint and bring it up to a decent 20 footer then go with that...new set of stripes and you'll be looking sweet! And keeping the car clean and detailed, interior, engine bay, trunk, can add a lot to the car....doesn't take much money to clean, paint and detail components.

My 2 cents. If you plan on working on the Charger soon then I would keep it. If you dont plan to start on it any time soon and it will be sitting outside in the elements I would sell it. I wouldn't worry about availability issues in the future.

Just go by the 11th commandment. ( it was on the third tablet that Moses dropped )... "thou shalt keep all Mopars as best as possible"

Depends on your own individual situation.

I recently bought a 2nd car.

And the more I think about it. I'll be honest ,,,,Im beginning to think 1 car is enough.

But then again I live in southern AZ and this 2nd one has factory air . Im not in a money crunch situation and can afford to keep it no problem. But I am 62 and retiring the end of the year ...... So who knows

Here's my 2 cents, I have a 68 and a 70 Charger and added a 70 Super Bee recently. Non of my cars is perfect but they are all on the road and I like them all for different reasons. For now, I enjoy working on them and chasing parts, I like the hobby. If I ever need to sell I will but for now just gonna chip away at them and enjoy owning the cars I always wanted. Cheers and congrats on the Roadrunner.

Thank you! I enjoy chasing down parts and working on these old Mopars as well. Nice collection.

When working on one you can enjoy the other.
:thumbsup:
Each car has a personality. I prefer the 71-72 cars without the isolated k member and no shock bumpers. But we have a 73 rr as well, not a lot of difference...but not many body parts are reproduced for the 73-74, but yours looks solid.

It really comes down to if you have a place to keep it and being ok w what happens to your 71 if you sell it.:(

You are correct! I could work on one and enjoy the other. That is a huge benefit.

I do like that the cars are quite different. You are right about the lack of parts for my Roadrunner.

I think I would have a place to keep it. I would have to ask some people for some help though. Lol.

I would hate to see my Charger go...

Both of these cars are pretty cool. Other than the frame rail that 71 looks pretty workable. I might consider buying a frame rail for it now just in case it gets hard to find one later. I would keep both for sure. I think most of us have sold a car figuring we could just get another one later but then we find out the supply is drying up over time.

Thank you for your post.

I agree with your take on the Charger. Once the frame rail is fixed, the car is not too bad.

I would hate to sell this one and not have a chance to get another one that is affordable.

I've got 5 of them in various states of drivability but 2 are my primary drivers. If budget is limited working on both will slow both down. I often will buy a certain part or set of parts for one car one month then the other car next month. Cost for storing is also something to consider. That said, with you having the car already it costs you nothing to keep it (assuming storage) and you won't get much out of it to go crazy on the RR. So my vote is keep it.

Thank you for your advice! Purchasing parts in an alternating fashion is good idea. Luckily, I have some nice friends and family that would let me store the Charger at no cost. I do not think I would get much out of the Charger either with its condition now.

I like having more than one hot rod as I can work on one and drive the other. Even when they are "done", maintenance and upgrades occur..... then your drive the other one.

Cars don't have to be money pits. You can have one nice car and a car that is just a rough driver to have fun with. Frankly, the rough driver cars area a lot more enjoyable. I have always had one or more driver-type cars that I never intended to restore and they have been the most memorable to me. No worries or cares - just drive and have fun.

A ratty 71 318 green charger is not going to increase significantly in value from this point, so I would not consider that in your decision.

Thank you. Yes, I really like the idea of redundancy when it comes to Mopars. Lol

I know some people who only have one car and end up not being able to drive it for long periods of time because they are working on it. I do not want that to happen to me.

You are right. I do not have to put in a whole lot of money into these cars. Especially the Charger.

I love the ratty look of the Charger. I agree with you that it wont see a significant increase in value.

I had a 73 RR 340 car...that was a fun car with that light 340, very nimble and could get up a boogie! But I do love the 71 Chargers as well, and I love green and earth tone cars more then high impact colours.

I'd fix the structural damage to the charger and patch up the rust best you can and keep it just a rough fun driver, even keep the 318/auto in it for now with just some simple upgrades, headers, 4 barrel manifold and carb, maybe a 340 cam, and set of decent gears...3.23 or 3.55's.

Then spend a little more on your RR, if you find a proper 73 400 for it then maybe consider swapping the 67 383 over to the charger, but fix the RR up as your "better" car, but don't go to crazy and go for the full restoration with show paint and if you can buff the current paint and bring it up to a decent 20 footer then go with that...new set of stripes and you'll be looking sweet! And keeping the car clean and detailed, interior, engine bay, trunk, can add a lot to the car....doesn't take much money to clean, paint and detail components.

Thank you! I agree with your comment. I could definitely upgrade the 318 and get the Charger running.

I do not plan on going with a full restoration for the RR. I like the state that it is in right now.

Good idea with the upgrades on the RR. Details matter.

As well as swapping the 383 into the Charger after I obtain a 400.

My 2 cents. If you plan on working on the Charger soon then I would keep it. If you dont plan to start on it any time soon and it will be sitting outside in the elements I would sell it. I wouldn't worry about availability issues in the future.

I do not know how soon I will start working on the Charger, but it will be stored indoors. I am almost done with college, so it has been taking up a lot of my time.

Are you referring to availability issues of cars or parts in the future?

Thank you for the comment.

Auto Transport Service
Back