• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New style windage tray

furyus

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
I thought I saw somewhere a new style windage tray that has a gasket molded to both sides. Has anyone else seen this and where do I get it. Thanks.

There was a thread on here about it a few weeks ago. I think they said they were available from JEGS.

lets us know how it goes...inquiring minds want to know!! lol

I have seen them in person and they are nice, but will require modifications for a 4.25" stroke, even with a 2.200" (BB Chevrolet) rod journal.

Notice though, that it only fits smooth pan rails, like aftermarket pans. The factory pan rails have indentions in them designed to help hold the gasket in place and they will not seal with those windage trays.

I will let you all know what I think when I get it installed. May be a week or so. I have a Milodon pan and a stock stroke. It should work out.

Notice though, that it only fits smooth pan rails, like aftermarket pans. The factory pan rails have indentions in them designed to help hold the gasket in place and they will not seal with those windage trays.

I am using one with a stock oil pan and have had no leakage what so ever. Now the rear main seal???? That's another issue...

I am using one with a stock oil pan and have had no leakage what so ever. Now the rear main seal???? That's another issue...

That's good to know. According to what the Jegs site says, it can only be used with a smooth rail pan. I was wondering about that myself, as I am going to use a 187 pan on mine.

So far I have used two of them (the one for the 4.15" stroke.) One a 3.90" stroked 400 with stock sized rod bearings, but aftermarket rods and no problem using the Milodon pan. The second on the 4.25" stroked 440, with the GM 2.2" rod bearings. That one needed quite a bit of tweeking to clear the stroker setup, but it seals fine with the reproduction Mopar Hemi oil pan. I will be putting one on the 4.15" stroked 400 this winter when I freshen up the engine. I should have no clearance issues with the 1/2" thick BCR girdle.
I did open up the oil slots on the side of the windage tray. They are pretty narrow the way it comes standard.

New question, has anyone used the billet rear seal kit and does it work and do you have any tips? Thanks

New question, has anyone used the billet rear seal kit and does it work and do you have any tips? Thanks
Which one? There are a few different ones out there.
The Fluoroelastomer rear seal (orange in color) seems to seal better than the standard black rubber seal.

Which one? There are a few different ones out there.
The Fluoroelastomer rear seal (orange in color) seems to seal better than the standard black rubber seal.
Mine is from Mancini's with the black seal. Can I get the orange seal by itself?

Fel-Pro #Q2947, $24.95 from summit racing.
440 Source #144-1000, $24.95. The silicone side seals for the rear seal cap are #144-1001, $7.95
Hughes Engines #SFP-9440, $39.95 (with the cap side seals.)

I just posted on this same topic a few minutes ago on my experience with the billet retainers. I have also decided to switch back to the MOPAR Windage Tray and FelPro gaskets as the JEG's one worked but when I removed the Oil Pan, the channels on the JEG's unit pulled apart and looked like "CRAP." I am starting to come to the realization that if you keep it simple and stay as close to the original intents Ma MOPAR had with her engines and all, that things and items tend to fall and fit into place better than the newest ideas and offerings. Just my 2 cents but I like the KISS principle when it comes to this Hobby more and more each day. And when the pockets aren't as deep as I would like, the affordability of parts far out weighs the frustration of the newest not working as advertised...cr8crshr/Tuck

I just posted on this same topic a few minutes ago on my experience with the billet retainers. I have also decided to switch back to the MOPAR Windage Tray and FelPro gaskets as the JEG's one worked but when I removed the Oil Pan, the channels on the JEG's unit pulled apart and looked like "CRAP." I am starting to come to the realization that if you keep it simple and stay as close to the original intents Ma MOPAR had with her engines and all, that things and items tend to fall and fit into place better than the newest ideas and offerings. Just my 2 cents but I like the KISS principle when it comes to this Hobby more and more each day. And when the pockets aren't as deep as I would like, the affordability of parts far out weighs the frustration of the newest not working as advertised...cr8crshr/Tuck

After reading your post I think I will try to lightly oil the Jegs windage tray gasket. May keep it from sticking and tearing. If all else fails, I will go back to stock.

After reading your post I think I will try to lightly oil the Jegs windage tray gasket. May keep it from sticking and tearing. If all else fails, I will go back to stock.

It is a real neat piece if I may say so. Well engineered and put together. Who would have thought to mate together the Windage Tray with The Oil Pan Gasket into one unit. Made perfect sense to me and I jumped on it. Will I use it again? Most definitely if I build another engine. But it will be more of a stroked build as opposed to a basic stock street build. That is why I am going back to the old standby of the metal windage tray and 2 gaskets for my build for this tame engine. All the new and improved items coming out are great in and of themselves. Just have to remember though that sometimes the tried and true is far better than the new and improved. Especially with MOPARS....

Auto Transport Service
Back