• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New truck drivers

Thats strange on the military end. Convoy you had the right of way. Like pulling in between a truck in a missile transport was a sure death warrant for someone if not in green and driving green. On base or off. 75' and 45 mph max, everyone armed with that little toy looking m16. I still have a great respect for convoys. Slow down, stay a safe distance and stay alive.
What I am referring to here is if your vehicle has a malfunction or something and suddenly slows down in front of my rig. I would keep on moving and not make any sudden changes in direction or braking because that’s going to be a real mess. The other advantage is on the highway weigh stations have no authority and don’t bother the convoy.

Right side turn signal is a sign for everyone to move to the right lane and pass you. Even if they have been sitting behind you for miles. Yes if I can not see you in the right side mirrors it's going to happen. Why don't they understand it?

What I am referring to here is if your vehicle has a malfunction or something and suddenly slows down in front of my rig. I would keep on moving and not make any sudden changes in direction or braking because that’s going to be a real mess. The other advantage is on the highway weigh stations have no authority and don’t bother the convoy.
Did not bother with either. Like stated if not green and carrying you don't really value your life. Weight stations what were those. Same with points of entry, what you saying fuel tax. No we don't pay fuel tax. Oh and by they way the bigger guns are behind the canvas. Can't show the public everything.

To all you real truckers I just to thank you for all the hours away from home. All the money spent trying to get goods delivered. Putting up with all the four wheelers talking on the phone. To all of you who stop to help a broken down truck or car just to see if you could help. Running hot trying to make a holiday or birthday you said you wouldn't miss even though your dispatcher has set you back two days. The nights that turned into days and then turned into night again. Thanks for the times you were ready to give it up but kept going because America needed you. But my biggest Thanks goes out to each families that put up with it all. I thank God I had all of you doing what you all did best.
Without our families support we couldn't have did what we did.

Speaking of truck drivers, my usual route at work was disrupted on Monday morning when someone cruised down the highway with an excavator in tow. You guessed it...over-height.

1657914018422.png

Speaking of truck drivers, my usual route at work was disrupted on Monday morning when someone cruised down the highway with an excavator in tow. You guessed it...over-height.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

View attachment 1313335
Guess they've never seen a height stick

Having driven some years 30-35k miles/yr, some as a field engineer, there were three occasions I might have been toasted had it not been for a semi in my rear jack-knifing or taking the emergency lane. One was going to the office in my vette during rush hour. There was a bad stretch of freeway that curved and the morning sun could blind you taking the curve. This frequently caused traffic to stop. One occasion was stopped then looked in the rearview mirror to see a semi going too fast and no way he could stop before running me over. Oly chit. His only options were crash into us or do what he did, jack-knifed his rig up onto the embankment. He wasn’t injured; but his rig was toasted. Just one of the three occasions similar to this.

Anyway, over the decades have encountered more truckers driving safely than not – IMO – it is the IDIOT drivers around them. I don’t dawdle when passing them and don’t cut in front of them. I drove a sizeable truck a few times moving my kids across the country, nothing like a semi; but large enough to get some appreciation of driving a truck. I tried to keep a safe distance from vehicles ahead; but so many ****-tards would cut in front then hit their brakes cuz traffic ahead was going slower anyway, or dart in front to catch an off-ramp hitting the brakes to make it the exit. Sometimes I’d look behind to see no traffic for a ½ behind; but da ****-wad just had to speed by me and yank over to make the ramp causing me to hit the brakes! It was a blast in mountainous areas going down a grade and yep, some see the opening I try to keep ahead and they cut in. Cops should look for this **** and require the dipshit to rent a truck for a week to get a clue in lieu of just a fine.

Had an incident ahead of me 2 days ago. Northbound pickup crossed 3 lanes of traffic, sideswiped 2 cars and then headon into an 8 axle, loaded dumptruck. The truck driver did all he could and nailed the concrete divider on his right side and jackknifed the rig but it's pretty hard to stop 140,000lbs. Driver of the pickup died right there but the truck driver is shook up and not even sure he will drive truck again. It takes it's toll.

I remember those 32-40 hours day. People to this day don't understand when I say I use to work 32 hours a day and 14 day weeks. A man had to do what a man had to do to pay the bills. But I sure am glad those days are over. No e-logs back then. Just a stack of log books. My bad time was around 11:00pm to 2 am. Once in a while I'd get dopey around 1pm. A good friend of mine just suffered a stroke last month pushing to many bennies. Finally caught up with him. I never ever touched any of that crap. Coffee was my friend. In liquid and solid form. Anybody with me??? Boys use to think I was chewing tobacco in the truck! lol
Canada is a right big country. Maybe too big. lol
I spent a few years running meat south and produce north. Then switched to flats and tanks at the end. The reefer years my hair would comb itself. ( ;

I would be happy with separate truck lanes. Some truckers still even understand common trucker curtsies others haven't a clue. It should be on any driving test from A to E.
I would still like to stick highway designers and traffic engineers in an 18-wheeler for a month of two.
Some states have it figured out and others haven't a clue.

Last few years the DOT has been removing and replacing many of the overpass type bridges on my route to work. One in particular carries not only the road crossing the parkway below but the elevated #6 train on top as well. A true study in logistics, tough project and they are doing a great job.
I guess they got tired of repairing the bridge after CONSTANT truck strikes (or were in fear of the overpass collapsing) but they finally got wise and installed what looks to be two 24"×24" boxed girders, one northbound and one southbound, across the roadway at the leading edges of the overpass. It acts (extremely effectively) as a shear to remove the top several inches of whatever vehicle is too large to fit under it.
With the amount of NYC traffic the bridge must be replaced in 3 stages. They are 2/3 done and each of those "shears" have been tested dozens of times since being installed. Not a scratch to the new bridge work and just some chipped paint on the girders.
Genius! Makes me wonder why it took so long to figure out this solution?

Edit:
All subsequent impacts were box type vehicles. Makes a mess and lots of traffic but nothing critical. I don't think I'd like to be anywhere close in the event of a heavy equipment crash but I bet it would be crazy to witness.

Last edited:
Probably once a week a driver knocks on our office door looking for the business next door or across the street.
I ask what company or address they looking for and they have to look it up on their phone.
Many of them barely speak English.

Not a big deal I guess, but not very professional either.
My thinking is if your job is driving, picking up, delivering, you should know a little about your destination.

Someone mentioned never taking speed? In 72 I was the designated driver....but was usually screwed up as much as the other 3 in the car. This was in Germany and we used to go to Frankfurt from Hahn AFB to go to this one club we liked and usually stayed until closing time and this night I was sleepy. Autobahn most of the way (75%?) so that part was usually easy but the 2 lane road through the hills needed more attention so one of the guys offered me a 1/2 hit which shouldn't have lasted more than a few hours. Well, a few days was more like it. First and last time for that mess.

Do any of you OTR drivers have cameras in your trucks? I see way more idiots in 2 wheelers than I do with truckers. Had to deal with one today within a 40 mile run.....

Someone mentioned never taking speed? In 72 I was the designated driver....but was usually screwed up as much as the other 3 in the car. This was in Germany and we used to go to Frankfurt from Hahn AFB to go to this one club we liked and usually stayed until closing time and this night I was sleepy. Autobahn most of the way (75%?) so that part was usually easy but the 2 lane road through the hills needed more attention so one of the guys offered me a 1/2 hit which shouldn't have lasted more than a few hours. Well, a few days was more like it. First and last time for that mess.

Do any of you OTR drivers have cameras in your trucks? I see way more idiots in 2 wheelers than I do with truckers. Had to deal with one today within a 40 mile run.....
I ran a 3 camera system on my truck, 1 facing forward and the others were rear facing down both sides of my truck. Only needed it 1 time when a 4 wheeler pointed a revolver out his window at me

These days you pretty much need to have cameras to protect yourself.

Auto Transport Service
Back