• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW VALVE COVERS IM TORN

XMAN JR

Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
My 67 GTX has the original chrome valve covers on it. No mater what for gaskets I try they always leak at some point. I am thinking of getting new valve covers for it. I am torn. I don't know what to get that will look good. I looks so much nicer with the chrome ones. I was told that the new original valve covers are on back order & I just might have the same problem. Whats your thoughts ?

Those covers are great looking and should be easy to seal up. Are they straight or bent at the bolt holes? Describe the gaskets are you using on them? Are you using any Sealer?

Those covers are great looking and should be easy to seal up. Are they straight or bent at the bolt holes? Describe the gaskets are you using on them? Are you using any Sealer?
They look straight. They are 50 some old valve covers. I have tried cork & the black stiff ones that you are suppose to be able to reuse them. No sealer

Felpros and a little luck got mine sealed. Black schmutz and cured in the sun a bit so they don’t slide upon reinstall. Drivers side firewall was a bitch. Extra set of hands relly helped. Use a fender cover and have helper lay on the ground waiting to pick up dropped tools etc.

They don’t go bad because they are 50 years old. They go wrong when someone overtightens them. I like the fel-pro cork and no sealer on mine. There something wrong somewhere, finding it is fun, Sometimes it’s tricky.

A couple 2x4’s and a helper to hold while you tap them out will do wonders.

When installing snug them down, then wait a day and they will be a bit loose, so sung them again. And then check bolts again after driving the car and it cools down.

Last edited:
How about pic's of covers a some of bolt holes. If bolt holes are concave they need to be flattened.

I had the same issue. Couldn't get the original small block covers to seal correctly.

Got very fed up and got Mopar cast aluminum covers, Mopar breather, Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets, and ARP stainless steel valve cover studs, all from Summit. No More leaks! With the Moroso gaskets, you can uninstall and reinstall and your valve covers easily anytime and wont ever have this issue again.

Do it, and keep your OEM Chrome covers in the garage.

I had the same issue. Couldn't get the original small block covers to seal correctly.

Got very fed up and got Mopar cast aluminum covers, Mopar breather, Moroso Perm-Align Valve Cover Gaskets, and ARP stainless steel valve cover studs, all from Summit. No More leaks! With the Moroso gaskets, you can uninstall and reinstall and your valve covers easily anytime and wont ever have this issue again.

Do it, and keep your OEM Chrome covers in the garage.
That's an idea. Then I can hang them on the wall beside my dads 392 hemi valve covers.

Auto Transport Service
Back