• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Vintage Air Gen IV SureFit Heat/AC Kits for 1966-1970 B-Bodies!

451Mopar

Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
I E-mailed Vintage air a few months back about a kit for my '69 Coronet non-A/C car and they said to check back in a few months, so I checked today and they now have them on their website! The '68-70 kit comes with a new electronic control panel, the '66-67 had electronic adaptors for the stock cables. They have kits for cars with factory A/C that use the stock vents, ot a kit for non-A/C cat that has new under dash vents.
I just placed my order.

http://www.vintageair.com/6670moparbbody.asp
66-70moparbbody.jpg

I've had the Classic Auto Air (Tampa) for about 10 years, Vintage did not offer this then. Classic is cold as ice and uses the original control box. The Vintage in my pals 'Cuda has better distribution. I'm happy with the Classic. Reliable, never a hiccup and no recharge.

For $100 difference I will be placing my order in a few months with classic auto air... if it was say $500 cheaper I would take a chance on them for under a grand.

ive done two classic air non ac conversions & i'm in the middle of doing a factory ac upgrade with a kit the i got 2 years ago & you can not beat their customer service / tech support with any problem that you have.

Wow that requires drilling a LOT of big holes! 4 1.5" holes, 1 5/8" hole and then running the hard lines through the fender. Not sure I like that...

I have the Vintage Air gen iv in the Camaro. I'm using the original controls. my only issue is the 3 fan speeds. There are days that I would like the lowest speed to be slower. I'm not sure which system I will go with in the Bee. By the time that I get that far into the rebuild, I'm sure there will be plenty of comments about the sure fit system

The A/C Kit arrived today, so I started taking inventory and there are a few pieces missing.
I'll call when they open an see how their customer service is?
Missing were the drier, and the four hardlines that go through the inner fender.
I ordered the kit through Summit Racing because I was getting a few extra parts at the same time, and I think there was some confusion going through them.
Next time I think it would be easier to contact Vintage Air direct.
The Condenser looks nice, I think it is 16"x28" and bolts to the factory holes in the radiator support.
The Compressor brackets look nice, I think laser cut? I won't be using them or the compressor in the kit because I have the Billet Specialities Tru-Track kit with A/C.
The Gen IV Evaporator looks pretty compact and smaller than I thought it would be.
The under dash vent housing is fairly thin plastic, same with the glove box insert.
The control panel looks ok, painted flat black.
I'm not sure why they have the large firewall plate, other than to cover the factory heater and A/C holes? Does the fan come through the firewall on factory A/C cars?
For a car without factory air, you just have the two heater hose holes to plug. The plate does also act as a template for drilling the holes for the Evap support bracket inside the car. Bolts in with two 1/4" bolts to the firewall, and two large screws inside to the cowl that holds the front evap bracket.

Wow that requires drilling a LOT of big holes! 4 1.5" holes, 1 5/8" hole and then running the hard lines through the fender. Not sure I like that...

That's the only thing keeping me from doing my car.

Hope your install goes well 451 Mopar.

That's the only thing keeping me from doing my car.

Hope your install goes well 451 Mopar.

Your going to need holes somewhere to route the lines. I think it would look nicer if they used a bulkhead connector, and the location of running the lines under the fender will make the engine compartment look nicer, but if you go with custom lines you could route them inside the engine compartment too.
I have been thinking of customizing the dash for A/C vents and a double DIN radio/GPS. I'd just have to to use a custom lower dash pad.

Perfect timing as I'm contemplating this upgrade in my '69 Road Runner.

I was thinking about the hose routing, and I think I could run the heater lines through the same (stock location) holes in the firewall where the heater core used to hook up? It may give the engine compartment a more stock (non-A/C car) look and save me from drilling new holes.
FWIW, I will be using a metal punch kit to make the holes. Just drill a smaller hole to get the bolt through. The holes come out better looking than using a hole saw.

Auto Transport Service
Back