• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Years celebration in the holler...

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
It's always been sort of funny out here in the holler around New Years time.
If anyone ever needed reminded of the difference in what is "normal" and tolerated
in the SE, particularly in rural areas, as opposed to more populated areas of the world,
one need only be present in one of a thousand hollers like ours at midnight on Dec. 31.
Tonight was no exception....

Background:
I'm a transplanted "city boy" (grew up in Atlanta in the 60's/70's, high school in the DC suburbs after that +20 years there) who "ain't from around here" as they like to say.
Out here, we're situated on the side of a ridge in a holler that faces WNW; the view is
50+ miles or so on a clear day.
This holler (like most in these parts) has a highway of sorts down the middle of it, usually sitting right next to a small river or major creek, what have you.
We have neighbors, but not like in neighborhoods in the conventional sense - more like nearest one is over 1/4 mile away or more. As such, we're oftentimes facing one another from a goodly distance across these hollers.
As you might imagine, 2A abounds out here - not unusual to hear someone target shooting on a given day and I've been here long enough to have gotten to know some of the others out here who are fellow enthusiasts.
The good guys with guns know where each other are - and consequently, the bad guys know, too. Not much worry about anyone coming up this ridge unannounced... :)

Ok, given all that, you can imagine what the typical New Years celebration is like out here.
Sounds sort of like a friendly war zone, if ya catch my drift....

To add to this evenings' festivities, someone had rented out the neighbors' place (they half-*** a B&B over there sometimes) and it had been quite apparent the renters were not "from around here" either - seemed like two couples, acting like they'd been let loose from whatever restricted part of the world they came from.
They'd even splurged and bought FANCY fireworks, the high-dollar kind that has professional launchers, big elevation and noisy types - and they'd bought a lot of it.
Then around 11pm came the obligatory drunken 4-wheeler rides up and down the property... which finally got my attention when they would come over close to the fence line near our garage and just sit there, staring...
"Come see the native TN redneck in his natural habitat!"
Like we had signs hanging up or something... they were fascinated.
Well, until their next trip around anyways - which found me out in the garage this time, garage door up, me with a big ol' weapon up on the bench, "cleaning" it.
They seemed to lose their fascination at that point.... :)

Midnight approaches and some of my neighbors and myself begin our traditional boom-booms, where we "answer" each others' gunfire with our own at the strike of the New Year.
It starts out with small arms, then escalates in boomy-ness until one "victor" is declared by the others ceasing fire.
It's quite hilarious to us - must sound borderline retarded to anyone else except those in rural areas.
Well, wouldn't you know it? Our temporary city slicker type renters next door wanted to play this year too!
Ok, let's go....

22's ring out at midnight exactly, followed by handgun caliber stuff. This side of the ridge, repost from the opposite side, Buford down the road next, lather rinse repeat....
We're having a blast as usual, but the interlopers insist on ruining things with their stupid fireworks, messing with the whole rhythm of the thing - and their fireworks always had loud reports at the zenith of each ones' climb in elevation, too.
We neighbors continue, ignoring the interlopers, increasing the boom with each reply up to the point we had the really noisy stuff out - 308's, AR this, AK that, shotguns next....
Finally the neighbor with the 10ga "Jed Clampett" gun rips one off, which usually signals the end of the festivities - but nooooooo, not this time.
Bad guests let go with the mother of all their fireworks, followed by them laughing like hyenas that I could hear all the way up here.
Hmmmph...:mad:

Neighbor Randy across the holler texts me just then and just says "DEFCON 4?"
I simply answer back "yep".
Well, what followed next quickly ended the premature celebration of our "guests" next doors' braying like donkeys....
I hear Randy let loose with a few rounds of his Barrett. I waited for that to sink in, then replied in kind - as did a few of the others with theirs (there's at least a half dozen of those out this holler that I know of), each in turn.
(See, we don't like to do such things typically - what with the cost of ammo for these critters and wanting to keep them out of sight and all - but last night proved to be a special occasion. :))
Once that barrage ended, we ceased fire and listened to see what the response was from our interlopers...
well, all the hell-raising and hee-hawing had stopped, but they felt the need to let fly their one apparently last firework, their grand finale I suppose.
Mistake. BIG mistake....

What happened next can only be described as an all-out offensive in the holler. Guns I'd never even heard out here before were let loose, the kind that shakes the ground and chases all fauna from the woods for miles.
I saw tracer fire, heard exploding ordinance, felt the earth move with some of it.
The pitch black sky turned daytime from it all and I kept my hearing protection on even though I had stopped firing anything myself.

In other words, it was glorious. :usflag:
I imagine the local gun store is gonna have a run on cleaning supplies and ammo for a while.
Have I ever mentioned how much I freaking LOVE it out here?
Happy New Years, y'all. :lol:

That's funny, sounds like my uncle's place out in Danville, VA ... one day I'll move to the sticks and join in on these festivities !

I just have to move there, I would fit in.
Even if I wasn't from around there.
:)

We do like our guns here Ed! Great post:thumbsup:
Kinda crazy on this side of town for sure. :)
It did remind me how much fun some of these critters are to shoot, too. It's been too long on some of them.

I just have to move there, I would fit in.
Even if I wasn't from around there.
:)
I get tickled with the native locals.
I ask them how long I have to live here in order for me to be considered to be from here...
the answer is always given with a smirk: "Ye ain't born here, ye ain't from here." :lol:

Darned near every night :D

Darned near every night :D
The only time any of it makes me nervous is late at night.
If you hear someone shooting then, you know dang well that they're a)not seeing any targets
and b)they're probably a few beers into it. :)

Last night was a special occasion for sure - and I have several acres of steep ridge behind us
as the perfect backdrop, so......
I had forgotten just how hard a 50cal bucks, though.
It doesn't really recoil as much as it just shoves yer arse backasswards. :)

And your forefathers ghosts in your area were laughing their asses off!

Growing up on a farm we experienced and participated in the same thing with the distant neighbors. Then moving to the somewhat city of Hanover Pa. it sounds almost the same here during the Forth of July, New Years. Nice to know you're not alone with the needed firepower if it was ever in need :D

Gonna miss the privacy with this new neighborhood going in behind me AND with that it brings to a halt any kind of boom making whether it's hand guns or small cannon fire. Heck, probably won't be able to set off anymore air bags either or blowing up 2 liter coke bottles with air!

Wait, let me clean up the coffee. Another awesome story, knew the 12ga. was gonna end up in that story. Wasn’t ready for the .50’s tho!!

And your forefathers ghosts in your area were laughing their asses off!

Growing up on a farm we experienced and participated in the same thing with the distant neighbors. Then moving to the somewhat city of Hanover Pa. it sounds almost the same here during the Forth of July, New Years. Nice to know you're not alone with the needed firepower if it was ever in need :D
Yup, that's the idea. It's not that I'm part of any organized groups or anything, but....well, if it ever hits the fan,
my place is known to be "friendly", if you catch my drift there.
Lots of oath keeper types out here, one percenters, that sort of thing.

Gonna miss the privacy with this new neighborhood going in behind me AND with that it brings to a halt any kind of boom making whether it's hand guns or small cannon fire. Heck, probably won't be able to set off anymore air bags either or blowing up 2 liter coke bottles with air!
Man, that's just sad, Cranky. I'm so used to just stepping out the back door and firing away at my makeshift
target range whenever I like. I'd miss the hell out of it.

Wait, let me clean up the coffee. Another awesome story, knew the 12ga. was gonna end up in that story. Wasn’t ready for the .50’s tho!!
Definitely special occasion boom booms; it's been months since I fired mine, for example.
Hard to miss it when anyone does in this valley. Very distinct sound those rascals make.

Man, that's just sad, Cranky. I'm so used to just stepping out the back door and firing away at my makeshift
target range whenever I like. I'd miss the hell out of it.
Wanted to move away from here 20 years ago because it was obvious how things were going to be but the 'other' half (more like 90%) didn't want to move away from the kids and the 'good' hospitals. Now she shares a wall with the youngest in a 50 year old townhouse complext and the worst hospital in the area us just around the corner from her. I love it how things turn out lol.

Wanted to move away from here 20 years ago because it was obvious how things were going to be but the 'other' half (more like 90%) didn't want to move away from the kids and the 'good' hospitals. Now she shares a wall with the youngest in a 50 year old townhouse complext and the worst hospital in the area us just around the corner from her. I love it how things turn out lol.
See, one would figure Texas would still have at least some open spaces, but what would I know?
I've actually been working on the wife about heading to the desert SW, at least on vacation.
She knows the deal, though - wants none of it. :)

Lots of open places but I live too close to Houston. Use to be out on the fringes but the city is closing in.

I'm grinning like the Cheshire Cat right now after that story ...

... while cleaning my Kimber and the Mossberg 12 gauge that got exercised last night and my ears feeling like I attended an AC/DC concert.

Ain't America great???

Auto Transport Service
Back