• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie 518 Overdrive Transmission Question for a 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Just purchased a 70 RR (first Mopar). Has a 3:91 gear (fun gear...). Anyway been looking into what is available for a overdrive trans for the Mopars...from what I have found the only option is a 518 or a Gear Vender unit. Looked up some info on the 518 and from what I have read it is for small blocks only...
Any other options that I have not found?
Can any one post some info on what's involved in putting 518 on a big block (383)..if it can be done, and is there anyone building them up so they can handle the horsepower & torque?

thanks

I would recommend the GM 200R4. You will have to mutilate the floor to get the 518 in it and the Gear Vendors is costly.

There is a lot of information about this swap on the internet
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/43323_mopar_overdrive_transmission_swap/
here is one of them
I am doing this same swap in my 65 Belvedere and i had to modify the thansmission crossmember to accomidate the overdrive section. but, i didnt have to cut the floor.
If you are running headers you would want to cut off the bellhousing and replace it with an Ultra Bell, this puts the starter back into the proper place. if you go with just an adapter plate the starter will be a little low (small block location).
there are companies that have the rebuild kits that can handle what ever power you need. like http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm andhttp://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/index.html
these sites will answer your questions.

No doubt the 518 is a great swap. I would just never hack my car up as much as it takes to get it done. Not when another transmission (and one with better gear ratios) will fit in with way less mods.

The 700 is a popular swap for sure, but if you're gona do a GM transmission, the 200R4 is by far the better transmission.

what is the HP / torque limit of a 200?
I know I was working in a GM dealer back in the late 80s and you couldnt keep one together behind a 4.0L V6. I'm sure they have been improved

what is the HP / torque limit of a 200?
I know I was working in a GM dealer back in the late 80s and you couldnt keep one together behind a 4.0L V6. I'm sure they have been improved

Built to the turbo GN specs..... ALOT. I've seen them slightly beefed up behind chipped up 3.8s runnin in the 10s. All the GM guys jump on the 700 bandwagon. You never saw a 700 in a Buick GNX, or any other turbo Buick of that era.....and they made both transmissions at that time. Contrary to popular belief, the 200 is actually just as strong as the 700 in stock trim.....I actually think because of the 700's weak 3/4 clutch pack, the 200 might have an edge. It's a chebbie thang I guess. I always figured cause the 700 was the higher number...like the old turbo 400, people always thought it was better. It ain't true. I don't care what all the forums say. I'm sittin in the office of a transmission shop in middle Georgia run by two of the best builders I've ever met. They both say the 200 is head and shoulders above the 700. To me the biggest thing is the 200 has much closer ratios than the 700. Much like a close ratio 4 speed manual.

Built to the turbo GN specs..... ALOT. I've seen them slightly beefed up behind chipped up 3.8s runnin in the 10s. All the GM guys jump on the 700 bandwagon. You never saw a 700 in a Buick GNX, or any other turbo Buick of that era.....and they made both transmissions at that time. Contrary to popular belief, the 200 is actually just as strong as the 700 in stock trim.....I actually think because of the 700's weak 3/4 clutch pack, the 200 might have an edge. It's a chebbie thang I guess. I always figured cause the 700 was the higher number...like the old turbo 400, people always thought it was better. It ain't true. I don't care what all the forums say. I'm sittin in the office of a transmission shop in middle Georgia run by two of the best builders I've ever met. They both say the 200 is head and shoulders above the 700. To me the biggest thing is the 200 has much closer ratios than the 700. Much like a close ratio 4 speed manual.

is there an available adapter and flex plate solution?

I think the 700R4 is the best solution too, because it fits much better. In fact, unlike Phoenix Transmission Products in the above link, I did it without any cutting other than a 3/4" hole in the crossmember. You can read about it here:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...5647-700R4-Swap-into-66-70-small-block-B-body

On the second page I also show a comparison to the 200-4R and show why the 700-R4 fits easier. I REALLY like it. My '70 Satellite never drove so nice. Mine has a small block motor, but just use the 1/4" thick adapter from TCI and you can use the exact same approach with your big block.

I spent a total of $760 to get overdrive without any cutting!

It's unfortunate that the Chrysler OD transmissions had to be so big. That's a swap I wouldn't mind doing....because I like all Mopar, but no way would I try that level of body work to get the 500 or 518 in.

I have a gear vendor in my 67 cuda and it is great. it is a lil expensive but i didnt want to cut my floor up. I would not go with a 2004R parts are getting harder to come by. the 700 is a better choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back