• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Oil Pressure Question For A 70 383

soundhd

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Newbie Oil Pressure And Temp Gauge Question For A 70 383

Have recently purchased 70 RR with a 383......Rally gauges (including the oil pressure gauge) do not really work well so I installed a Auto Meter Full Sweep Mechanical 3 gauge panel under the dash. Oil pressure shows 58-59 pounds when it is cold and then drops down to around 46 pounds after the engine gets hot......Is this normal? When idling it shows 25 lbs.
A for the rally temp gauge it always shows 30 degrees below what the Auto Meter temp gauge is showing......Wonder if this a problem with the voltage limiter in the Rally Cluster? Would a defective voltage limiter cause these problem with the Rally gauges not reading correctly (I did replace all the senders to see if they were the problem). Rally oil pressure gauge always shows 20 lbs.....

thanks

what weight oil are you running?could be causing the varience.how many miles on the motor?a bit of eng wear can cause that as well.fairly normal other then that.i always run mechanical guages,way more accurate then electrical ones.electrical ones could be getting bad signal through the bulk head connector,very common.

Varying the voltage to the OEM gauges will result in different readings.

Oil pressure drop after the oil heats up is normal. The normal oil pressure spec is in the FSM; it's 50 or 55 PSI at some RPM above idle but I don't recall what it is exactly.

Auto Transport Service
Back