• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie With Abandoned 72 Charger from Michigan!

Brendan L

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Brendan and I'm the new proud owner of a 72 Dodge Charger! (PICTURES BELOW)

The car has been sitting in someone's backyard for the past 20 years, and they finally decided to sell it because they're moving. I found this car as SOON as it was listed for sale and jumped right on it because I've been looking for one to restore and they're so hard to find! Had to really fight to be the one to buy it and I barely won haha! I know it's not a 2nd gen, but 3rd gens deserve more love!

I bought it in June and I'm starting pretty much a full rebuild/restoration on it! It was built in Detroit! It's a numbers matching car with a 400 4 barrel in it(which will stay in it). Factory A/C, power steering, hideaway headlights, power front disc brakes, dual sport mirrors, Brougham interior package, rallye instrument cluster, fender turn signals, and more! It's got Cragar Keystone Klassic wheels on it, including 295s in the rear! The odometer reads 15k original miles(probably 115k though haha). So much of this car is in great condition, such as the bumpers, the hideaway headlights, the headlights themselves, the tail lights and the turn signals, the mirrors, all the glass, the whole dash except for the dash pad, the sun visors(which are absolutely PERFECT), both door panels including the rear side panels, the rear seat, the rear sail panels, and more! The stuff that's bad is the metal, such as several body panels, all the floor pans and the trunk pan, and unfortunately the whole unibody frame except for the passenger front rail. I'll be replacing the entire front and rear suspension and brake system as well. There's obviously a LOT more that will be done to it on top of that stuff! It'll all be well worth it though! So excited for this car!

THE ISSUES: I'm having trouble finding full rear frame rails as well as inner rocker panels for it! Any suggestions such as where to find some(preferably brand new) would be great, or if anyone has any other suggestions, such as other frame rails/rockers that would work for it(even if they need a little bit of fabrication)! I'm also not getting any power to the inside of the car, the only way to crank the engine is from the engine bay. I replaced the ignition cylinder and door locks already because the original key was broke. The ignition switch reads that it's at least getting some power(might still be bad though), but nothing beyond that! Haven't even looked into this issue much yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out!

IMG_20200616_1641145.jpg
00808_erppXCV2tMf_1320AA_1200x900.jpg
00P0P_aacYmMIoYVn_1320AA_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_97YnBhjMNAz_1320AA_1200x900.jpg
IMG_20200620_112026.jpg
IMG_20200620_120655.jpg
IMG_20200620_135431_2_LI.jpg
IMG_20200620_162540_2_LI.jpg
IMG_20200705_160641.jpg
IMG_20200705_160938.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome catch! If I can offer one piece of advice it’s this: break the car into projects, ie: front end, engine, interior, body etc. Tackle and COMPLETE one project at a time. Don’t move on until you complete something. Don’t just strip the car down and start sanding the body without a plan. If you look at most of the project cars for sale you can see that the seller didn’t do this. I didn’t do this. That’s how I know.
That’s a sweet car.

Welcome from Alabama, with that much rot, you have your hands full, but from your pictures there is a lot worth saving and it's complete.

@moparmarks may be able to help out with sheetmetal and frame rails.

Welcome!

Rails and rockers you say?
Grab a flatbed trailer and haul off this caucus for free with solid rails and rockers!

IMG_0698.JPG

Nice find! They’re still out there!

I would definitely blow it apart and get all the metal work done first.
take plenty of pictures as you take things apart and keep your fasteners marked and together with the parts they belong to. get the body painted, then work on all the sub assemblies. most of all
have fun!

Great start stay after it. Welcome from AZ

Welcome!

Rails and rockers you say?
Grab a flatbed trailer and haul off this caucus for free with solid rails and rockers!

View attachment 980808

I would seriously consider this offer! Don't let the distance scare you off. There might me more metal there you might need once you tear into things.

Welcome from Michigan. Nice purchase. Now the fun begins and then you can enjoy that beauty.:thumbsup:

Welcome! Get all the metal work done. Then paint and reassemble. Next ENJOY! Ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back