• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newby from Ohio

Mighty

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just joined the site hoping to get some ideas for my dads 68 coronet. I’ve always been into cars but no real hands on experience with any older Mopars. I’m 36 and the only mopar experience I have is from my 2 12 valve rams. I’m by no means a professional mechanic but my brother does it full time and has his own shop so I go there after work in the evenings and help him out. I’ll work on my own stuff no problem. Most of my hot rod/muscle car experience is just run of the mill small block Chevy stuff. My dads had a 10+ Year project with his 68 coronet and being in his 70’s with a bad back he’s all but given up on it. It’s currently inside my brothers shop and it’s becoming a storage unit and working around it is getting annoying. I told my dad I’ll do all the crawling around under the dash and lifting so we can do the wiring for it but he’s just got such a defeated attitude. It was original when he bought it and had it shipped from Oregon here to Ohio. The original drive train is gone. Brand new dana 60 with 3.73’s brand new 727 (someone out of Indiana built it but is now retired) and he bought a 1969 Hi po stamped 440 6 pack engine. Again this is all over 10 years ago. Engine is completely rebuilt but like an idiot he sold the 6 pack intake and 2 barrels after all of the LS pipe dream guys told him to put fuel injection on it. I don’t know any specs on the motor but I can get them since we’ve been spending more time together at the shop in the evenings. He’s using the edelbrock pro Flo 4 fuel injection on it. So I’ll be poking around in the different sections of the forum trying to find some fuel injection related topics.

Welcome from Alabama, sounds like a great project. Post some pictures.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Sounds very similar to a friend of mine whose dad has a '68. Car hasn't been running in years. I found out just last week that he moved recently to be closer to dad and has his heart set on getting dad's old '68 running for him again.

A0DB3D80-00AD-4F1A-A4BC-98FFD272F5A5.jpeg

You're in good company around here with folks who want to help you succeed.
Welcome to FBBO from NY!

Welcome aboard from southwest OH, what part are you in?

84733159-C49C-44D6-9098-EE0FC3E72825.jpeg
25A694F7-7955-44A4-8F6B-96EB72A6F525.jpeg
I had to text my dad to see if he had any pictures of it, but I can get more tonight when I get to the shop. I don’t know when the picture of the engine compartment was taken but it’s a little more messy now. Out of curiosity, are there a lot of guys on here or in general that switch these older mopar engines to fuel injection? I did a quick google search and found an old thread about a guy that put the flo pro 4 on a 440 and had a 11 or 12 page thread so I skimmed through it and decided to join. My dads car did run in the past but he’s never driven it. The carpet is still out of it from when we laid the sound proofing material down and the reupholstered seats are just sitting inside of it. He did quite a bit of the electrical work himself and was never happy with it. He wanted to be able to open the hood and have it look like it came from the factory. He kept the original 6 pack air cleaner and I helped him run the injector wires through the valley of the intake to try to keep them out of view. He had it set up to start with a button instead of the key and hated that as well. A lot of the wiring is all undone now. The computer is mounted on the passenger side kick panel. I just started talking with him last week and trying to get him motivated to at least try one more time to get it going but the wiring stuff isn’t for me. We started to tinker on it this last Monday and Tuesday but came to mounting a fuse box and he started getting fussy. I’m hoping to be able to post a picture of the fuse box I’m using and trying to get some ideas of how others members might have mounted something similar. He wanted his on the drivers side of the car behind the headlight almost under the battery tray which I’m assuming is the original location? I also have to figure out a place to mount the MSD box which has never been in the car previously. I drilled some holes in the battery tray and mounted it to the bottom of that but my brother said it would be better up under the dash plus there’s a decent sized relay near the battery tray which might be in the way if we used my idea. Again, i told him I’d take seat back out and lay on the floor and run All the wiring under the dash for him how he would like. I’d like to learn how to do this kind of in a way because I’ve only ever messed with carburetors.

I’m in Central Ohio. I work in Columbus and my brothers shop is in Columbus.

Welcome to FBBO and best wishes to you and your dad in getting that Coronet back on the road!

Welcome from the left coast. Gotta love the 12 Valve's. I have an 04.5 Common Rail along with my 65 500.

That's an awesome car! Tell dad to man up and quit being a baby. Sounds like he's not really into the efi and complexities that come with it. I'd rip that out, sell it, then buy an edelbrock rpm performer intake and a edelbrock avs2 carb, and an engine wiring harness if that one is all chopped up. Get that baby back on the road.

I’ve offered to buy an intake a carb for it, but then I don’t know if I’d have to buy a new fuel tank and obviously a different fuel pump. I’ve got my own car I’ve been messing with lately. It was a father son project that I did with my dad and older brother all the way back when I was probably only 13 or so. I was the tool fetcher and the small one that crawled around underneath of it. Just one of the many cars that everyone lost interest in except for me. It’s not a mopar though. It’s a 1979 Malibu wagon factory 4 speed car. My dad handed me over the title a couple years ago and I’ve been changing things around on it.

I’m in Central Ohio. I work in Columbus and my brothers shop is in Columbus.
Cool, that is in my area that I travel for work. I'd be happy to swing by and check it out for you and offer advice.
Here's what I tell folks usually, don't reinvent what the factory spent millions on developing. Just by reproduction harnesses and modify them to work with the efi. It's really simple. But you could have gone with a sniper and saved a lot of work. The ecu is inside the throttlebody unit so not a bunch of wiring. Jmho.

Nice car

welcome to FBBO from wet & snowy NorCal Sierras

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Good luck with your '68 Coronet father/son project. I can relate to being in one's '70's and not liking to poke around under the dash anymore. When I show up at my chiropractor's office, he always says, " You've been working on that damned old car again! ". This is a very good forum. I see you already have a member's offer to drop around to try to be of assistance.

Cool, that is in my area that I travel for work. I'd be happy to swing by and check it out for you and offer advice.
Here's what I tell folks usually, don't reinvent what the factory spent millions on developing. Just by reproduction harnesses and modify them to work with the efi. It's really simple. But you could have gone with a sniper and saved a lot of work. The ecu is inside the throttlebody unit so not a bunch of wiring. Jmho
I’ll have to run it by my dad and brother. I usually don’t get up there until 6:30-7:30 when I get off work. My dad usually comes up to hang out with my brother 3 times a week for 5-6 hours then most of the day on Saturdays.

Auto Transport Service
Back