• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newer transmissions

'73bird

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
Is there a newer transmission that will mate to a 1973 440 like a transmission with overdrive ao i wouldn't need to put an overdrive attachment on to the 727?

Do a google search for a518 swap. The 518rh and a500 transmissions will bolt directly to small blocks, but adapters are available to make them bolt to big blocks. There are also other mods you need to do to get this to work, like tunnel, crossmember, and driveshaft mods etc. It’s not a simple swap, but I don’t think it’s an extremely difficult one either.

People that ask for help REALLY need to be specific when doing so. If you expect to get responses, make it easy for people to help you.
Don't post a generic question with no information on the car that you are working on.
I doubt anyone here is a mind reader. What is the car? Are you interested in an automatic or manual transmission? What is the car equipped with now? Floor shift or column? What is your budget?

People that ask for help REALLY need to be specific when doing so. If you expect to get responses, make it easy for people to help you.
Don't post a generic question with no information on the car that you are working on.
I doubt anyone here is a mind reader. What is the car? Are you interested in an automatic or manual transmission? What is the car equipped with now? Floor shift or column? What is your budget?

I apologize. I should have said it was a floor shifter didn't know that would hamper the type of transmission. I also thought a 727 was an automatic and didn't come in a manual transmission. I thought over drive was also exclusive to automatic transmissions. Also I didn't think my 1973 b body no matter satellite, roadrunner, coronet, charger, fury, gtx were all that different from the transmission mounting perspective. As far as budget I was just looking to see what the options are as to cost and see what is more cost effective. The attachments I have seen are $2800 and I thought getting a transmission that would fit to my 440 from a yard having it rebuilt and installed could be cheaper.

Again I apologize for not being more thorough with my post.

I apologize. I should have said it was a floor shifter didn't know that would hamper the type of transmission. I also thought a 727 was an automatic and didn't come in a manual transmission. I thought over drive was also exclusive to automatic transmissions. Also I didn't think my 1973 b body no matter satellite, roadrunner, coronet, charger, fury, gtx were all that different from the transmission mounting perspective. As far as budget I was just looking to see what the options are as to cost and see what is more cost effective. The attachments I have seen are $2800 and I thought getting a transmission that would fit to my 440 from a yard having it rebuilt and installed could be cheaper.

Again I apologize for not being more thorough with my post.

I must apologize for NOT seeing that you DID state a 440 engine in the original post. I missed that and I am sorry for jumping on you so fast!
In my defense, some people post online asking for help without giving a detailed account of their combination. I've seen it many times. YOU at least did list the engine size and I somehow missed it.
Regarding the original topic:
The reason that there are no "Bolt in" modern overdrive transmissions for older Mopars is because the 400 and 440 engines went out of production in 1978, leaving the LA series engines (318 and 360) to carry on. The LA engines used a different transmission mounting pattern. (Bell Housing) ALL modern Mopar transmissions use the traditional LA style mounting pattern. The best of them all is the newest ZF 8 speed found in all Charger/Challenger/300 and Ram series trucks. It is an excellent trans in terms of multiple gears, wide gear spacing, rapid shifts but aside from the bell housing pattern and its obvious thicker girth posing fitment problems, It is a fully electronic trans that as of yet, has NO aftermarket support for a stand alone computer. Until a stand alone controller becomes available, the ONLY way to get this trans to work in an old car is to somehow integrate the entire electrical system and multiple computers/controllers from the donor car. Yeah, it is that difficult.
the next step down is the ubiquitous 518/618 series. It would need to have the original LA design cut off and the B/RB style aftermarket bell bolted on.
If you want an easier but more expensive option, the Silver Sport Overdrives A 41 is an option as mentioned above.

Auto Transport Service
Back