• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly built 360 is running weird in 3rd gear

Shmopar74

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Hey, first post here. I just rebuilt a 1974 360, bored .030 over, 9:1 pistons, edelbrock performer heads and intake with edelbrock 750 on top. The cam is .308 duration on the intake and .316 on the exhaust. Installed in a 1974 w200 power wagon. Im using zinc spark plugs and the original distributor and exhaust manifolds until I can afford all the new fancy stuff. I noticed that in third gear the motor bogs slightly when I hit 3000 rpms and it just loses it's power. In first and second gear I can't notice it bog at all. This is also the first motor I have ever built. Any help or advice you guys could give me would be awesome

Auto trans? What are the converter and rear gears? Tire height? Cam seems kinda big for a truck unless the rest of the drivetrain is well matched..

Assuming timing is good.
It's likely that the carb is too lean.
Try larger secondary jets.

Manual 4speed with 35 inch mud tires and 4.10 gears. I don't know much about carbs and the secondary jets so I have some reading to do.

Auto Transport Service
Back