• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NHRA tech code on trunk mounted kill switch

Racer1210

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
What is the code/rule in NHRA rule book?
Apparently a local track I am racing at next week is trying to enforce that the lights stay on when switch is off. Every car I have owned or checked it kills all power when switch is turned off. Thanks for response in advanced, Larry

Apparently a local track I am racing at next week is trying to enforce that the lights stay on when switch is off. Every car I have owned or checked it kills all power when switch is turned off. Thanks for response in advanced, Larry

I never heard that one, but I haven't looked at the rule book in about 10 years

From the online 2021 NHRA rulebook:

8:4 MASTER CUTOFFMandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is “push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.

Yeah, im curious how you shut off "all function" and leave the headlights on? Two flashlights taped to the fenders?
That is just pure stupid.

It isn't a problem. Acetylene headlamps stay lit without electricity. :)
2604.jpg

I would call the track, it doesn't sound correct. I know there are concerns about the alternator charge wire being on the kill switch side of the battery so that that wire isn't hot even with the switch in the off position ( common problem) but the headlight thing is news to me.

Last edited:
No need to call track. I found out last night from my race friends that the last race there last year there car broke on big end, pulled up against wall, got out of car and shut off the switch due to smoke coming from engine compartment (turned out to be steam) the track officials where not paying attention and sent 3 more pairs of cars down track with him still on track just past 1/4 mile traps. So I am not sure what to expect when I go but my friend told me that the rear light on car is to stay on when switch power is off is what they (track officials) said was the rule. With having a copy of of the rule if they try to enforce I can show them what the rule in the NHRA rule book is.

No need to call track. I found out last night from my race friends that the last race there last year there car broke on big end, pulled up against wall, got out of car and shut off the switch due to smoke coming from engine compartment (turned out to be steam) the track officials where not paying attention and sent 3 more pairs of cars down track with him still on track just past 1/4 mile traps. So I am not sure what to expect when I go but my friend told me that the rear light on car is to stay on when switch power is off is what they (track officials) said was the rule. With having a copy of of the rule if they try to enforce I can show them what the rule in the NHRA rule book is.

To be honest.... It should be up to the track to have someone down at the other end making sure the track is clear before sending more cars. I've seen this happen before at Norwalk about 10 or so years ago at the Chrysler Classic race. then the same thing happen a few years ago at Monster Mopar during the day time.
As much high esteem I have for the Bader family, this is one thing I disagree with them on.
All tracks should have someone at the finish line to make sure there are no issues before sending two more cars.
Sorry I got off track.

You a racer and don't own a rule book? :poke::lol:

To be honest.... It should be up to the track to have someone down at the other end making sure the track is clear before sending more cars. I've seen this happen before at Norwalk about 10 or so years ago at the Chrysler Classic race. then the same thing happen a few years ago at Monster Mopar during the day time.
As much high esteem I have for the Bader family, this is one thing I disagree with them on.
All tracks should have someone at the finish line to make sure there are no issues before sending two more cars.
Sorry I got off track.
I couldnt agree more.
I watched a very fast car lose a bunch of fluid at about the 500 ft mark, at our local eighth. When i saw they were getting ready to run more cars down, i tried to get someones attention, but dragstrips are not the quietest places.
Next car down was a supergas quality vega wagon with a big block.
He rolled it four times.
Somebody at the big end paying attention, with a radio, would have saved that car.

Auto Transport Service
Back