• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Niagara Falls

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
I have been slowly working on getting my 440 running. It had sat in a backyard in NM for about 6 years. Supposedly it was last running 2.5 years ago.
When I first started working on it,, I did the usual pre-oiling with marvel mystery oil down valve train and in cylinders for a week before atempting to hand turn the crank. Once free I only moved the crank about 5 degrees every other day while adding more MMO to everything. After this process the crank turned very nice and smoothly.
After this I drained out the marvel and oil out. I put new oil in and replaced the filter. Engine turned over nicely with starter.
I removed the dizzy and was priming the oiling system. I could see oil coming up on the bearing looking through dizzy hole. Things were looking prety good....but then I heard a strange sound. I immediately stopped and looked around. I found oil just streaming off of the oil filter onto k frame and into my drain pan. I removed the filter, which had very little oil in it, checked myself to see if I had goofed something up. Everything was good, no double filter o ring, nothing visible and everything dry around pump. I decided to pull the pump thinking that possibly the relief valve was stuck creating an over pressure that the filter gasket could not accept. Everything inside the pump was fine. The valve moved freely, rotors good with no burring or damage, all o rings fine. I cleaned and rebuilt the pump with new orings and gaskets, but havent put new filter on yet
I know it is a long read, but figured I would lay out what I have done up to this point

Last edited:
I figure my next move is to drop the pan and check the oil pick up.

Niagra Falls!......slowly I turned....
That's weird. It does sound like your oil filter didn't seal. Maybe just try a new oil filter before dropping the pan? While you're at it, you might consider installing a mechanical oil pump (even if just temporarily under the hood) to see if it was leaking at 10psi or 100psi?

Page 2:
Upon further examination, the Fram filter has a very thick, soft gasket. The dimpling to hold the gasket in place, doesn't work. With just a little pressure from my finger nail popped the gasket right out.
I surmise that due to the thick, soft rubber gasket, when I tightened the filter the rubber pushed to the side rather than properly compressing. I went back to the auto parts store and all the Fram 8A types were the same. I looked at a K&N and it had a harder, less thick gasket on it. I bought it and installed it. No more Niagara Falls. Oil priming all done....no issues.

End of story. And the moral is ? Buy a quality product. Goodbye Niagara falls. Stay tuned to next week. Same bat time. Same bat channel. When we then go to Hoover Dam !

My uncle was an old time mechanic, he use to say "think simple".
I use a Wix or Mopar filter. A little oil on the gasket face, tighten till you can feel the gasket against the motor + 1/2 turn.
You should be able to remove the filter with your hand (no wrench required).
I change the oil once a year in the fall. Usually (1,500 - 2,500) miles.

I am almost 60 and have always done my own maintenance. Never had anything like this happen. It was not overtightened, and I did put oil on the gasket previous to installation.

Unfortunately Fram aren't very good anymore... Wix, Factory Mopar or (GULP) Motorcraft are pretty much the best oil filters you can buy..

Auto Transport Service
Back