• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice graduation gilft for the nephew tool box...

Superb Bee

Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
We are putting together a little tool kit for my nephew who is graduating high school in a couple months for a graduation present

He is going to be working at a friends local garage (full time when not in school, he is going to trade school ASE certification), and hes going to be doing brake jobs, suspension, alignments, engine accessory diagnosing and replacement (belts, alts, starters, pumps), tire work, stuff like that. So I told a couple other people that are going to be giving him a hefty grad gift that we can put some money together to get him a tool box full of tools, we scrounged up $1850 which I am going to round up to $2500.

This also puts the responsibility on me for making sure that $2500 goes the farthest.
heres what I came up with so far.

I'm not one of the guys that will say these are better than snap-on, matco, mac, etc. but I have seen them and they are nice, still over 400lbs of metal there, I seen them big homedepot boxes top bottom and side weigh 275#s. For the money this box is a real box that will last a long time. I get a discount from them because of another forum I am part of.

http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/al...reme-55-x-25-deep-12-drawer-base-cabinet.html

Williams driver set (I have these and snap-on, they are the same)
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-100...08&sr=1-1&keywords=williams+screwdrivers&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-...TF8&qid=1488903342&sr=1-11&keywords=plier+set

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-...TF8&qid=1488903399&sr=1-7&keywords=chanellock

https://www.amazon.com/Chanellock-9...F8&qid=1488903399&sr=1-11&keywords=chanellock

https://www.amazon.com/Chanellock-9...F8&qid=1488903463&sr=1-29&keywords=chanellock

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-3...88903690&sr=1-1&keywords=serpentine+belt+tool

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-3...=1488903846&sr=1-1&keywords=gear+wrench+3870d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JH-WILLIAMS...467649?hash=item2822055901:g:shEAAOSwVupTp0Jb

I got him some trusty cook hammers, I also get 20% off this site plus the 10% off and free shipping, these I will say are the same as snap on hammers, for so much less money.
https://trustycook.com/product-category/hammers/hammer-multipacks/

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-90191...=1488904212&sr=1-2&keywords=wrench+set+tekton

I got a great deal on some sk socket sets,, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" clam shell packs comes out to about 160 pieces for $350 (best price online was more than double that, these are open but never used).

There are a few more things I got him, a couple snap-on ratchets, some ir air tools (wizzer, cutter, and air hammer) caliper press, oil filter wrenches and sockets, I didn't pay all of these prices, I got a lot of discounts and put a lot of thought into it, I paid almost 1/2 price on all the channel lock stuff, the screwdrivers, wrenches, and a few other things I did get through amazon because someone that kicked in gave amazon gift cards. But $2500 doesn't go as far as you would think, actually it gets you hardly anywhere.

His stepfather said he is going to get him an Ingersoll rand impact wrench and sunnex impact socket set, and I told him the wheel socket set would be nice too :) he agreed..

I am excited to give this stuff to him, and I ordered it already its going to be hard not to give it to him early :)

Anything else I missed? I tried to get the important stuff, obviously the shop has tools to and there are 2 other mechanics in there that will lend tools, you would need $25- 125k to get it all at once.

When I talked the shop owner of where he is going to be working, already started actually, but just cleaning up and doing inspections, he is getting a bay when he graduates, throwing him right to the wolves, but they have a good system there, the tech trainees get the middle lift so he has mechanics on both sides of him to watch and help, but Bret gave me a list to start with a socket set with hex sockets, a brake tool kit, serpentine belt tool kit, tire sockets, impact wrench, oil change tools, electric tester, wire snips, wrenches, screw drivers, pry bars and hammers. He said he would let him borrow a box he has there that's empty, but I think him having his own box will be much better.

I am surprised how much I got and the quality of the stuff, the tekton wrenches are about the best wrench you can buy for the money, they are really nice, the sk socket sets are great, I prefer them to s/o, the Williams drivers and pry bars are the same as s/o, I think hes gonna pass out when he sees this thing all setup and full.

He will make a good mechanic, most of the time I would tell kids stay away from mechanics but for him it is a calling, he like most kids is a little lazy, but pretty smart, rebuilding and fixing his dirtbikes since he was 14, fixes his own car, I hope it works out for him, it must be scary to be a kid now..

Wow, you're a hell of an uncle. Do you need another nephew?

Hes a helpful kid, we are building a new house and he was there with 2 of his buddies and helped us move 40 years of stuff into storage containers, then when I tried to give them money they ran off and would not take a dime, said lunch was plenty of payment for them! Most kids take a $50 and say "what a cheap asshole as they walk away and don't show up the next day". He came back 3 days and emptied my house, I was going to hire people to do it he found that out and said no way, Ill come over with a couple of friends (I have been letting him and his buddies ride their dirt bikes in my pit since they were old enough to ride by themselves).

He also helps his ma' a lot, hes a good boy, and hasn't been much trouble, none of them are perfect mind you, but nor was I. I figure a normal graduation gift is $500 from an uncle or aunt, and I got almost $2000 rounded up between a handful of us and I am a good salesman, I said you give him money he will buy something for his car, you give the money in tools he will have them for a long time and use them towards his future, its kind of an easy choice.

I am having a buddy of mine that makes decals for business trucks make me a decal that says happy graduation, heres a gift towards your future from (with all of our names). It will be small and I will put it on the corner of a drawer or somewhere not to conspicuous.

I'm excited about it, hes going to be out of his mind, and I am hoping it makes him really get excited about working. I know you don't get rich being a mechanic (his mother and my wife would rather he be a doctor, lol, I said yah you want the kid that washed the toaster in the dish washer to do your heart surgery, and the reason he was washing the toaster was because he tried to make grilled cheese in it, hell make a good mechanic, its a noble profession, turning wrenches is a down to earth, honest way to make a living, I know people who did well with it.

Wow, you're a hell of an uncle. Do you need another nephew?
That's what I was thinking. All I ever got from my uncle was a basement full of empty beer bottles.
Seriously though, that's a great jump on a full set of tools. Once he gets started and gets some hours in he will be able to fill out the set with the stuff he needs for the type of work he's doing. You can bet the tool trucks will come around the shop. That's a nice tool box too. I wouldn't mind owning it myself.

Last edited:
Right on! It's great to hear of this, and I hope your nephew goes a long way in his "calling".

:thumbsup: Must be the favorite uncle too :lol:

You're going to win "Coolest Uncle of the Year" award! When I graduated high school, every tool I owned fit in a small hand box. Allen wrenches, punch and chisel set and a good test light are something to think about for future birthdays or...

Hes a helpful kid, we are building a new house and he was there with 2 of his buddies and helped us move 40 years of stuff into storage containers, then when I tried to give them money they ran off and would not take a dime, said lunch was plenty of payment for them! Most kids take a $50 and say "what a cheap asshole as they walk away and don't show up the next day". He came back 3 days and emptied my house, I was going to hire people to do it he found that out and said no way, Ill come over with a couple of friends (I have been letting him and his buddies ride their dirt bikes in my pit since they were old enough to ride by themselves).

He also helps his ma' a lot, hes a good boy, and hasn't been much trouble, none of them are perfect mind you, but nor was I. I figure a normal graduation gift is $500 from an uncle or aunt, and I got almost $2000 rounded up between a handful of us and I am a good salesman, I said you give him money he will buy something for his car, you give the money in tools he will have them for a long time and use them towards his future, its kind of an easy choice.

I am having a buddy of mine that makes decals for business trucks make me a decal that says happy graduation, heres a gift towards your future from (with all of our names). It will be small and I will put it on the corner of a drawer or somewhere not to conspicuous.

I'm excited about it, hes going to be out of his mind, and I am hoping it makes him really get excited about working. I know you don't get rich being a mechanic (his mother and my wife would rather he be a doctor, lol, I said yah you want the kid that washed the toaster in the dish washer to do your heart surgery, and the reason he was washing the toaster was because he tried to make grilled cheese in it, hell make a good mechanic, its a noble profession, turning wrenches is a down to earth, honest way to make a living, I know people who did well with it.

That's GREAT!!!!

You're going to win "Coolest Uncle of the Year" award! When I graduated high school, every tool I owned fit in a small hand box. Allen wrenches, punch and chisel set and a good test light are something to think about for future birthdays or...
I was going to go through my stuff and put some chisels and drill bits in a box, I literally have hundreds of pounds of chisels, punches, drill bits, bar stock and craftsman tools cut, bent, welded, and sharpened for certain tasks. I'm also going to go through all my air tools I haven't used in years and check them out and oil them up for him.

I don't mind giving him stuff because he will appreciate it and when I need a hand changing a clutch or fixing a wheel seal I will have a helper and for the near future when I wont be able to do it myself maybe I will be the helper..

One suggestion to make the money go farther is to invest in high quality used tools instead of new stuff. Spend some time on Craigs list, you might be surprised what you find.

And you're right, he sounds like a great kid to help out.

One suggestion to make the money go farther is to invest in high quality used tools instead of new stuff. Spend some time on Craigs list, you might be surprised what you find.

And you're right, he sounds like a great kid to help out.

Thanks ws, yah I looked and here around there is nothing, everyone is crazy, I figured I could get him a good box used, and then strip it rebuild it and paint it for him, I have at least 5 gallons of single stage Mopar colors on the shelf, plum crazy, sublime, hemi orange, even a couple qts of panther pink which he probably wouldn't be crazy about. But the sublime would work well for a nice box.

I figured go through the draw slides, knock any dents out, powder coat the emblems, make him a 2" thick hardwood top for it (I have everything to make cutting boards in my shop, I use it for the hot rod truck beds, instead of laydown oak, I rip 1" pieces and do it end grain all the way through).

But finding a decent box for a decent price is not happening around here, everything is $2500 and up!!! People are insane, I found a nice heritage snapon box, 52" looked perfect in the pictures and he wanted $1800 (which is high, but he said OBO, and it was on there for 2 months).

I went and looked at it and it was scratched and dinged, the top drawer needed sliders it was broken. So I offered him $900 and he said he would junk it first, so I left, I guess he junked it ...

You know whats worse, look at full boxes on ebay, lol $20K its a $2000 box on its best day with $900 in tools and they want 20K, WTF is wrong with them guys, if they have $20K in tools I have 600 million dollars in tools.

We are putting together a little tool kit for my nephew who is graduating high school in a couple months for a graduation present

He is going to be working at a friends local garage (full time when not in school, he is going to trade school ASE certification), and hes going to be doing brake jobs, suspension, alignments, engine accessory diagnosing and replacement (belts, alts, starters, pumps), tire work, stuff like that. So I told a couple other people that are going to be giving him a hefty grad gift that we can put some money together to get him a tool box full of tools, we scrounged up $1850 which I am going to round up to $2500.

This also puts the responsibility on me for making sure that $2500 goes the farthest.
heres what I came up with so far.

I'm not one of the guys that will say these are better than snap-on, matco, mac, etc. but I have seen them and they are nice, still over 400lbs of metal there, I seen them big homedepot boxes top bottom and side weigh 275#s. For the money this box is a real box that will last a long time. I get a discount from them because of another forum I am part of.

http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/al...reme-55-x-25-deep-12-drawer-base-cabinet.html

Williams driver set (I have these and snap-on, they are the same)
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-8MD-8-Piece-Premium-Screwdriver/dp/B00JP0NDQY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488902308&sr=1-1&keywords=williams+screwdrivers&th=1

Amazon product ASIN B001A3ZBCI
Amazon product ASIN B00004SBD9
Amazon product ASIN B00004SBDH
Amazon product ASIN B000FK5DL6
Amazon product ASIN B0002WSFTO
https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-3...=1488903846&sr=1-1&keywords=gear+wrench+3870d

Williams C-803 Pry Bar Set 3-piece for sale online | eBay

I got him some trusty cook hammers, I also get 20% off this site plus the 10% off and free shipping, these I will say are the same as snap on hammers, for so much less money.
https://trustycook.com/product-category/hammers/hammer-multipacks/

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-90191...=1488904212&sr=1-2&keywords=wrench+set+tekton

I got a great deal on some sk socket sets,, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" clam shell packs comes out to about 160 pieces for $350 (best price online was more than double that, these are open but never used).

There are a few more things I got him, a couple snap-on ratchets, some ir air tools (wizzer, cutter, and air hammer) caliper press, oil filter wrenches and sockets, I didn't pay all of these prices, I got a lot of discounts and put a lot of thought into it, I paid almost 1/2 price on all the channel lock stuff, the screwdrivers, wrenches, and a few other things I did get through amazon because someone that kicked in gave amazon gift cards. But $2500 doesn't go as far as you would think, actually it gets you hardly anywhere.

His stepfather said he is going to get him an Ingersoll rand impact wrench and sunnex impact socket set, and I told him the wheel socket set would be nice too :) he agreed..

I am excited to give this stuff to him, and I ordered it already its going to be hard not to give it to him early :)

Anything else I missed? I tried to get the important stuff, obviously the shop has tools to and there are 2 other mechanics in there that will lend tools, you would need $25- 125k to get it all at once.

When I talked the shop owner of where he is going to be working, already started actually, but just cleaning up and doing inspections, he is getting a bay when he graduates, throwing him right to the wolves, but they have a good system there, the tech trainees get the middle lift so he has mechanics on both sides of him to watch and help, but Bret gave me a list to start with a socket set with hex sockets, a brake tool kit, serpentine belt tool kit, tire sockets, impact wrench, oil change tools, electric tester, wire snips, wrenches, screw drivers, pry bars and hammers. He said he would let him borrow a box he has there that's empty, but I think him having his own box will be much better.

I am surprised how much I got and the quality of the stuff, the tekton wrenches are about the best wrench you can buy for the money, they are really nice, the sk socket sets are great, I prefer them to s/o, the Williams drivers and pry bars are the same as s/o, I think hes gonna pass out when he sees this thing all setup and full.

He will make a good mechanic, most of the time I would tell kids stay away from mechanics but for him it is a calling, he like most kids is a little lazy, but pretty smart, rebuilding and fixing his dirtbikes since he was 14, fixes his own car, I hope it works out for him, it must be scary to be a kid now..
You're a good uncle. It would have taken him a long time to scrounge up all those tools that he needs right now. It'll get him job security from day one.

Auto Transport Service
Back