• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NINETY-SEVEN DOLLARS FOR AN OIL FILTER!! $#@*:-/

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
So I ALWAYS get WIX brand filters of ANY kind, but especially oil filters whenever possible, literally. NAPA Gold has also been the same, made by WIX, from what I've seen.
The oil filter for the 2021 V6 DIESEL in my wife's Jeep Gladiator is NINETY-SEVEN DOLLARS! :mad::mob::soapbox::nutkick::eek:
(I insisted on the diesel engine option:wetting: since we sold our 2005 H2 Hummer "tow vehicle" and the Jeep has taken its place, until one day if and when I can get a RAM Cummins diesel powered 4WD truck or maybe an old Ford Excursion 4WD turbo diesel that isn't a worn out POS and also doesn't cost $30+ grand.)
Unfortunately, the last time I tried to get a WIX brand for it, WIX didn't list one, and the filter for the same diesel in the RAM trucks is different enough that I wouldn't try it on her engine.
To top it all off, it's MADE IN CHINA!!
20220129_114203.jpg

NINETY-SEVEN DOLLARS :up:

Is that the cartridge that goes inside of the plastic housing or a sealed canister?

Did you buy it from a dealer because looking up either one the most I found the cartridge type was $68.

Man, your Wife is certainly high maintenance, filter for my Wife's Challenger is only $13.24 Cdn ! :lol:

c93ceae8f8d7c29e800b8572a65ab0bd.png

Free oil changes for life part of the purchase deal?
No? :)

Before you buy any new to you vehicle, good to look up the common parts to maintain the vehicle.

All filters
Brake parts
Alternator
Water pump
Fuel pump
Injectors
Injection pump
Etc.

had a step daughter wanting a Range Rover, this exercise put a stop to that nonsense.

I look for:

Will it start
Will the doors stay closed
How many miles left on the half bald tires
Does the radio work

Part # from the above link:
68507598AA $46.75
And the picture of the MOPAR filter I just bought at the Dodge/Chrysler and Jeep MOPAR parts department:
20220129_114203.jpg

Only difference I see is "-001" which doesn't concern me...
I guess the dealer is paying (and charging me) for that fancy building they occupy...
THANKS @Photon440 for the link!
Oh, and this THREE litre V6 takes NINE quarts of oil!!

Last edited:
Before you buy any new to you vehicle, good to look up the common parts to maintain the vehicle.
Yeah, but she had made up her mind...
I was able to insist on:
*The "advanced LED light package" (it's VERY dark on the road by our house)
*The "lane change safety warning system" (which anyone on the road with her should be paying ME for having kept them safer)
And the V6 diesel, because as much as I like the Pentastar V6 gas engine in my 2017 Caravan, it is NOT meant for towing!

This Wix filter is 20 bucks..
https://www.autoanything.com/engine...937fd6d2828bdd93963&utm_term=4581046483915778

After looking I don't think this is the same. Looks like an insert. My bad..
Yeah, same kind of "thing" w/the WIX I bought from the auto parts store, and although I tried pulling the filter element out of the plastic cap, I didn't want to overcome structural integrity with excessive force...So I've resolved to get the MOPAR filter for now, but to shop more wisely.

Made the same mistake on my son's 07 Cummins. Almost $100.
Did not realize till the bill came in
Not again

If you see what I see every day at work, you would never buy a NEW Chrysler product of any kind. Yes, I work at an ASE Certified auto repair business. Just my opinion of course!

They're diesels.

No plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coils....

Fluids and filters are literally the ONLY maintenance on a diesel. I love my '01 Cummins, and my '14 Ecodiesel, for that exact reason.

Auto Transport Service
Back